Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0218 Transmission overheat on a stock jeep

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It'd be nice to get the okay from the factory though. Didn't the stealers originally say that lifts didn't void warranties? Many have found warranties invalidated because of their lifts, however. What if the same thing happens where you get the okay from the stealer, your trans poops out 15 years later (lifetime warranty), then the new guy running the stealer says "I didn't okay it. How do I know you installed it right?" Just thinking about the future. I for one intend to take advantage of that lifetime warranty so I want to be really really careful.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
It'd be nice to get the okay from the factory though. Didn't the stealers originally say that lifts didn't void warranties? Many have found warranties invalidated because of their lifts, however. What if the same thing happens where you get the okay from the stealer, your trans poops out 15 years later (lifetime warranty), then the new guy running the stealer says "I didn't okay it. How do I know you installed it right?" Just thinking about the future. I for one intend to take advantage of that lifetime warranty so I want to be really really careful.
I don't know to much about the life time warranty other than it has to be inspected by a dealer every five years at no charge to you. I suspect if anything is found that is not acceptable they would tell you. I would think that some where in the fine print it's not going to cover normal wear and tear and their going to be the ones who decide whats normal. As to installing the trans cooler thats not rocket science you only need to break into one line, if your not sure about the install you could always take to a trans shop. It seems to me it would have to be a pretty hard mod for them to argue against sense they are on the trucks with the tow package. Being what is says in the severce manual is another plus for you and that is written by the factory.

Last edited by Rhino64; 02-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

In that case, your only option is to not install a cooler and let the transmission fry. That would be covered for sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

That's what I've decided to do at this point. Seems safer to leave it stock and if it fries it's covered. If a stock trans can fry from normal driving, however, then I'll dump my JK if that's much of a piece of crap. You shouldn't have to mod the trans just to get it to perform decently.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

That's what I've decided to do at this point. Seems safer to leave it stock and if it fries it's covered. If a stock trans can fry from normal driving, however, then I'll dump my JK if that's much of a piece of crap. You shouldn't have to mod the trans just to get it to perform decently.
Stock . . . how sad.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Void my warranty??

just remember that if you install a trans cooler you risk invalidating the warranty on the trans and who knows whatever else they'll try to invalidate due to the modification.
if the damn dealership tries to void my warranty over my installation of an aftermarket transmission cooler (which is good for the jeep)
i'd get me a good lawyer and sue the crap out of them. HIDE AND WATCH
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Dropped off the Jeep for routine maintenance and asked the guy about the trans cooler. He said that they CAN in fact install trans coolers. Regarding doing it yourself, he said straight up that Chrysler is really picky about warranty service right now so any mods not done by them are subject to voiding a warranty and they're turning people away for service any chance they get. He said if the trans is not installed by them and the trans fails, the first thing they'll note is that the trans was modified and that there are so many variables such as the incorrect amount of trans fluid due to improper install, even if the fluid amount was improper for a short period of time and then corrected, that Chrysler might try to deny service. But, if they do the install, of course it's guaranteed that the warranty remains in tact. In my opinion it'd be worth having the dealer do it. Those extra dollars are worth keeping the warranty intact.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

I wouldn't believe all that BS as long it is installed properly there not going to void any warranty. I read were stealer's have told people if they didn't change the oil that would void the warranty. Its all about the money in there pocket. If one was the try that any 2-dollar lawyer would set that straight.

Quick Reply: P0218 Transmission overheat on a stock jeep