Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Overheating issues

Old 01-01-2020, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Law4110
My 2013 started overheating, it was low of coolant. The Jeep dealer serviced it, burped it and got it back. It started again, so the water pump was replaced, next the thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator cap, radiator, heater core, left head and gasket was replaced, the temp gauge does fine idling but drive it 10 minutes and the gauge goes to red and the light comes on. The heater doesnt blow hot anymore, I shot it with a temp gun on all cooling components and the highest temp I get is 195°. I was going to replace the engine coolant sensor next, I don't know what else to do,any suggestions?
​​​​​​
if you did overheat the engine originally to the red zone then you probably warped your heads. I had a Wrangler doing the same thing, it was ok at idle, but drive it and it would peg to the red. I tore it down and the heads were both warped beyond specs. Replaced heads and problem went away.

The following users liked this post:
Overheating Hell (07-18-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this deserves a new thread, but I have a 2013 JK Sport with over heating issues. I DO KNOW the fan doesn't come on and I do have 12 V coming to it. I also hot wired from the battery. Does anyone KNOW how to activate the fan using the 3rd wire? My understanding is that there is some signal sent on this and I get a variety of answers from various positive voltages to specific hertz signals to grounding. I was hoping to make sure the fan is dead before I order the replacement. Turning on the A/C does nothing.

Thanks,
2013 Owner

Last edited by Mark Tway; 06-15-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added line
Old 06-17-2020, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

turning the AC or defrost on should trigger the fan to start in any case.... if it's not, likely the fan is toast.... this happened to me
Old 07-18-2020, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Third radiator

I have a 2015 Rubicon Hardrock, 155,000 miles. I am now on my third radiator. Minor cracks in all three. I have noticed when I bring my Jeep out west to the Colorado Rockies, at higher altitudes, around 10 to 11 thousand feet, my Jeep will run at 233 to 235 degrees. This is recent and it has a new thermostat and was completely flushed when radiator was replaced two months ago. It did this to when it was new as well as currently. I also notice almost very little fluid in overflow.

Last edited by Rmb357; 07-18-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Josh Edstedt
Alright, so I’ve got a 2013. Been having overheating issues for a bit now. Anytime I get around 3k or higher rpms, my Jeep starts to get hot. It’s never gotten to the red but only to 3/4 marker hot. But as soon as I’m back down to under 2k it cools of pretty quickly. Been doing that for awhile now. The serpentine belt shredded a couple weekends ago because the water pump seized up. Replaced water pump, couple idler pulleys, and the belt tensioner. Refilled with OAT coolant. Still didn’t fix the issue. I ran the Jeep with the rad cap off yesterday and after it reached temp, it starting boiling and seeing out of the rad cap opening. Which led me to believe that the thermostat wasn’t opening. So today I replaced that, did a full flush of the radiator and even cleaned the radiator fins. Still wanting to get hot at this point. I also did a combustion leak test on it and nothing. God help me if it’s the head gaskets. So my next solution is I’m going to buy a new radiator. I haven’t seen any leaks and I’m never low on coolant. Anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?

-new water pump
- new thermostat
- complete rad flush
-combustion leak test done(negative)
what was the solution?
mine is doing exactly this.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would check your radiator cap, and make sure the fan module is working by checking to see if it works when the AC is on. The fans go bad and then the engine overheats then you get the dreaded warped heads quite easily. It is much cheaper to spend hundreds of dollars on a new fan than get warped heads at $2500+ bucks. Watch your coolant level because a slow head gasket leak is very deceiving if it is a slow leak. Check water coming out of the tail pipe after the engine warms up. Check your oil to see if it is milky. If the heads are already warped then they will let coolant into the combustion chamber or oil lines but it may be hard to see if the leak is slow.

Mine was not showing up on hgihway trips but the head gasket showed after I drove around in Memphis for a day in July. The head gasket leak was exposed because the radiator coolant level dropped to a point of overheating. We found out later that the fan module was defective and only worked part of the time.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Ken Farrell (07-05-2023)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Overheating issues

I have 2012 wrangler rhd. Yes I’m a mail carrier. Water pump went out and took serpentine with it. Changed that, also thermostat and then found crack in radiator. Replaced all of those and she is running to the 3/4 mark on temp gauge. Took it back to the mechanic with a coolest temp sensor code. Replaced it also. She is still running to the hotter side. Mechanic says doesn’t get hot at idle. Help!!!
Old 10-29-2023, 02:41 AM
JK Newbie

My 2012 was leaking water. Turned out to be the oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Overheating issues