Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Overheating engine light went ON

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
Alright, took the IR image. The results are: at needle pointing straight up.
After a bit, passed 215 F, then 220 F. The radiator fan does not come on. Hell, If i sit there it will over heat! I'm gunna start looking for a fan. any suggestions on a well built off road type fan?? I mean you buy an Off road trail rated vehicle and hit a mud hole shit starts to fail, where they hire these Chrysler engineers at any way?
Did the gauge ever climb to the right of straight up?

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-04-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe after 215 F it was just to the right of the straight up position and then at 225 F a lil more climb, but definately getting hotter and moving to the right.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

I believe after 215 F it was just to the right of the straight up position and then at 225 F a lil more climb, but definately getting hotter and moving to the right.
I would say your temp sensor is fine, then.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

million thanks! so time to shop for a rad fan....
Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
ronjenx, not to hi jack the thread but is that pic of your engine ? I see what appears to be some type of oil leak to the left of the red arrow. I have the same thing in two places in that area. During the hot oil recall, I asked the stealer about it and had it written up as a work order. Their response was this is normal residue but did not give an explanation as to where it was coming from or why. Do you know why that looks that way ? Is there a seal leaking ?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bmorejeep08
ronjenx, not to hi jack the thread but is that pic of your engine ? I see what appears to be some type of oil leak to the left of the red arrow. I have the same thing in two places in that area. During the hot oil recall, I asked the stealer about it and had it written up as a work order. Their response was this is normal residue but did not give an explanation as to where it was coming from or why. Do you know why that looks that way ? Is there a seal leaking ?
It's oil residue with dust mixed in. There is no wet oil anywhere, and the dip stick always shows full.
I won't do much about it 'til I see wet oil.

p.s.

Thanks a lot, though. Now I can't look away, and feel like I should clean my engine.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-05-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Alright, talked to dealership about the extended warranty, contract says it should be good till 75,000k. The cooling system is covered under warranty, and I will take it to them tom row. Once they see all that mud under the hood and engine compartment, they'll prolly void the warranty I'm guessing. Anybody else have this problem with overheating and problem dealing with the dealership?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be thermostat or cracked housing. Happened to me. Jeep was over heating and the pressure test revealed a small crack in the thermo housing. They have to run a pressure diagnostic though...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Thermostats are cheap and easy to replace also, can't hurt to replace right?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Alright, talked to dealership about the extended warranty, contract says it should be good till 75,000k. The cooling system is covered under warranty, and I will take it to them tom row. Once they see all that mud under the hood and engine compartment, they'll prolly void the warranty I'm guessing. Anybody else have this problem with overheating and problem dealing with the dealership?
How about cleaning the engine before you take in.

Quick Reply: Overheating engine light went ON