Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Overheating engine light went ON

Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating engine light went ON

Got back home on Sunday after a wheelin trip at general sams, had a blast!
we hit a mud pit about 5 feet deep, a tj had to pull me out. Fortunately the place had a wash out at the park, so I pretty much washed got 98% of the mud from radiator. Next day, the hot engine light went on. So I checked the fuse (J19)-it was good. washed out the radiator and AC condenser again, no mud or debri came out. the radiator fan doesn't seem to turn on at all even when the temperature gauge was near the hot mark. I also observed the radiator fluid gurgling and reservoir tank went from low to max. I really need your input.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

had this happen randomly not from mud, ended up being a $13.00 part (dealer only) engine coolant temp sensor, put it in to save the 100 dollar deductible and it worked perfect after that. I would start there all you got to lose is 13 bucks.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Do you know if your fan was running when you hit the mud pit.. if it was you may have taken out your fan
after the mud pit we rode around the trails for about 20 minutes in 4 Lo, temp gauge started going up so I decided to go to their washout and squirt the radiator and fan assembly. I didnt pay attention to the fan after that. This evening I tested it (on park) and observed it, watched the temp go up, fan never went on.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dwikto
had this happen randomly not from mud, ended up being a $13.00 part (dealer only) engine coolant temp sensor, put it in to save the 100 dollar deductible and it worked perfect after that. I would start there all you got to lose is 13 bucks.
there a way to verify if its the defective part? and where exactly is the sensor located? Ive got an infrared camera and a FLIR thermal camera I can utilize.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

the sensor is black plastic has a harness attached to it and is located on top of your manifold right next to the radiator hose cant miss it.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

that is the one
Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

I'll take a looky...basically, if that sensor is bad then it won't be able to turn on the fan or tell the fan to switch on am I right?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by inspect-a-home
I'll take a looky...basically, if that sensor is bad then it won't be able to turn on the fan or tell the fan to switch on am I right?
Start the engine, cold.
Aim your IR sensor at the base of the thermostat housing.
As the engine warms up, compare the IR readings with the position of the temp gauge.
When the gauge is straight up, the IR reading should be over 180°F.
The IR reading should go to 215°F with the gauge still straight up, at which point the fan should come on.
If the fan doesn't come on, the IR reading will continue to rise.
Eventually, the gauge will move to the right.

If you see this behavior, there is a pretty good chance the temp sensor is correct.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Default Overheating engine light came ON

Alright, took the IR image. The results are: at needle pointing straight up.
After a bit, passed 215 F, then 220 F. The radiator fan does not come on. Hell, If i sit there it will over heat! I'm gunna start looking for a fan. any suggestions on a well built off road type fan?? I mean you buy an Off road trail rated vehicle and hit a mud hole shit starts to fail, where they hire these Chrysler engineers at any way?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IR_0863.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	146705  

Quick Reply: Overheating engine light went ON