Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Overdrive problem during comute

Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Overdrive problem during comute

Where did my overdrive go

Got on the freeway to drive to work noticed the jeep was a little louder than normal, checked the speed 60 to 65 mph, checked the RPM's 4000+. Checked the shifter, yep I'm in D, yep I'm in 2H. Checked the dash the O/D off is not lit. Cycle the O/D button a few times and the O/D off dash light cycles with the button. Still stuck in third gear. Back off the pedal then accelerate hard nothing, still in third. No overdrive. Hit my exit pull up to a stop sign transmission acts normal while stopping, manually shift from D,2,1,2,D,N,R,P turn off the engine and restart the engine. Pull away from the stop sign everything feels and sounds right until O/D doesn't kick in. Finish the rest of my commute at the normal speeds of 20 mph to 65 mph, everything is fine except there is no overdrive.

I checked for codes when I first got in the jeep to come home from work. NO Codes, just the usual "done" message. Now the O/D works and nothing touched or bumped the O/D on / off button since I parked it. It works when it is supposed to all the way home, 32 miles. Pull into the garage kill the enigine and then check for codes. NO Codes. RTF manual to confirm how to check the automatic transmission fluid level. Went through the routine and the level is good, the fluid is clear reddish /pink, no water, not burned.

It did this once about 3 weeks ago but one cycle of the O/D button took care of it. No codes then either.

Any ideas, useful thread links or help is appreciated. If there are no codes I doubt the stealership will believe my story.

Oct 09 build date, bought 11/09, 2010 unlimited sport, auto trans, 3.73 TracLoc gearing with 7,900 miles.

Thanks!

Update 5/14 -- Possible Fix

Happened again May 13, 213 miles after the original post, on my way to work. Got to work and checked for codes with the same results, no codes reported. After checking office crap for an hour I decided to take the day off and put the Jeep in the shop. After resting for a hour in the parking lot the Jeep shifted fine. Got to thinking about the RPM's I was seeing both times on my way to work, ran some test and realized not only was the overdrive missing but the Jeep wasn't dropping into 3rd as well. Got to the dealership explained everything to the write-up girl. Saw the raised eyebrow when I said the tech may not be able to duplicate the problem as the tranny seemed to be shifting fine now, figured I would get a call saying they couldn't duplicate the problem come get your Jeep. 4hours later the service manager called and said the Jeep was ready. Stated there was a flash update available for my VIN to correct missed shift points.

Did they really do anything, beats me but time will tell. At least this occurrence is documented with the dealer. I will say the shifts from gear to gear do seem sharper, a little more authoritative, but that may be wishful butt dyno thinking. If anyone is having the problem it might be worth checking with the service manager about a software update.

Update 6/12 -- Looks like the flash update fix did work. Driven 2,200 + miles since the software update and she hasn't missed a shift.

Last edited by kingteddybear; 06-12-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Update -- Possible Fix
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you are in "limp home mode". Not sure if it is the same thing I had happen to me but it is worth a shot. The wifes trans harness fell down and was rubbed through by the drive shaft and shorted out.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 Sport is pretty much doing the same thing. Mine revs way too high and misses its shift points constantly...I can actually redline my engine and it's an AUTO. I'm assuming the shifting problem is a computer issue. I just gotta find the time to take it to the dealer. See if you can take a video with your phone...I have 2 clips of the tachometer ready to show the dealer when they come back with the "cannot duplicate issue" response. I noticed too that the accelerator is non-responsive at certain times on the highway...pretty dangerous when I can only go 60mph with my foot all the way to the floor.

I'm running 17" wheels with MBRP catback exhaust and the shift issue has been there before and after tires and exhaust were put on. I'm getting 14.2mpg also (80% highway driving).

Last edited by Rick8325; 05-06-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Happened to me a couple days ago. Shifting back into park and then drive fixed it for me though. Hasn't happened since.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Just giving this a weekend bump. Since the original post the O/D has not gone missing again. Just wondering want might have happened or be happening.

Quick Reply: Overdrive problem during comute