Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

To opt rubicon or not?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To opt rubicon or not?

What extent of off-roading should one do to justify a rubicon over the other wranglers? The main advantage I see is the Dana 44 FRONT axle, but the 4:10 rear end will kill my mpg i assume? All input appriciated...
Old 07-25-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Deola
What extent of off-roading should one do to justify a rubicon over the other wranglers? The main advantage I see is the Dana 44 FRONT axle, but the 4:10 rear end will kill my mpg i assume? All input appriciated...
I would say moderate off roading, where you don't want to do much in the way of mods to the Jeep. If you're planning on a LOT of off roading, Get a sport, and mod it up.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

If you are the type of person to Modify your rig once you get it .. I see no point in getting a Rubicon ...

I find it amazing how many sets of Rubicon Axles are for sale all the time on all of the JK forums ... Everytime I see that it's like ... why did this guy buy a Rubicon in the first place ...

On the other hand ... if you are perfectly happy with a mostly stock vehicle and want you warranty to remain intact ... get a Rubicon ...

If you have mechanical skills and can do you own labor ... buying a Sport and spending the $8K you will save on mods will alway have you end up with a better rig ...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the Rubicon planning to mod very little. I'm getting 18 hwy with 4:10s which is better than previous truck. Knew I wanted small lift, mostly to compensate for winch and bumpers.

Don't plan on big tires, find I have never needed them.

FWIW spent the day on blue and red trails in CO without lift with no problems.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The 4.10 gears don't seem to be the mileage killer some people think.
I get 23 mpg on the highway, and 18 in town.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Rubicon. Start off with better tires, more ground clearence and theres buttons to push!

Seriously though it gives decent capabilty off the show room floor. I also plan on a basic lift and 35" tires to start with. Winch and accesories. Being able to lock the axles and disconnect the sway bar with a push button is great when you get in a little over your head.

I guess it also depends on your bank account. Rubicon is a lot more $$$ but you just sign the line and swallow payments. The sport is a lot cheaper but mods can get pretty expensive. Takes a good chunk of money just to get to the level of a Rubicon.

If you go with a NON Rubicon just make sure you get the factory tru-lok limited slip differential. $295 and it will help you get through the rough spots.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Deola
The main advantage I see is the Dana 44 FRONT axle
They use the same weak housing. The 44 just has a larger center section to fit the 44 gears. You will want all of the same housing upgrades for the 44 as you would for the 30.

Internally, the 44 is a rather decent improvement, though.

but the 4:10 rear end will kill my mpg i assume?
There are some FAQ's stickied to the top of this modified area. Open the Drivetrain section and plug some numbers into the rpm chart. The jk's engine seems to be happy in the mid-2k range on the freeway.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought rubi as i have no time to mod...
i am going to lift 2.5 and be happy with mild off-roading...
mpg is 18-19 urban and 21-22 highway...

as others have said...the rubi is great from the get-go for moderate wheeling...
if you need to go mental...buy a sport and mod it up...
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice is to deal on both models with the dealer and if you are a good negotiator you may be surprised at how much you can close the price spread on the two. Then decide how much modding you could do with the difference.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:01 AM
cmg
JK Newbie

I modeled a Sahara vs Rubicon (with Affiliate Discount) and the price was about 2500 difference final price out the door including tax and all. Since my off roading will be limited to some oversand adventuring and that about it, I decided that the 2500 was well spend on mods rather than the Rubi.

CG

Quick Reply: To opt rubicon or not?