Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oops, I may have a problem with water...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops, I may have a problem with water...

I accidentally pushed the clutch in twice while water was near (or above) the bottom of the door on Saturday afternoon. I was at the beach and got unstuck within 10 minutes. After that, I immediately hosed the Jeep off with water and soap on the undercarriage. I have been worried that saltwater may have snuck in while I had the clutch briefly pushed in.

I have since put 250-300 miles on the Jeep since Saturday afternoon and have experienced no problems what so ever.

1) Can water seep in this way?
2) If everything is running fine, do I need to worry about it?
3) what do I do to fix the problem?

Pic of my stupidity:

Last edited by EagleArmsHBAR; 05-03-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm far from an expert but I would suggest changeling all the fluids. New oil and filter, new oil front and rear differential, transfer case, and manual transmission.

I belive you will find write-ups on how to do all this yourself on this forum in the write-up section and at http://project-jk.com/ also found on this forum.

Good luck! Hey, were you down around Corpus?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar issue here

I was out this weekend as well crossing a low water bridge that was flooded with about 20 inches of water over it. No big deal I thought I've crossed this bridge in my wife's minivan with no problems.

Well I ended up slipping off the bridge into water deep enough to cover the hood. The engine died almost instantly but I pulled it out fairly easily. after about an hour with water over the cigarette lighters. I changed the fluid in the diffs, oil, plugs and had to use 36 quarts to flush the auto tranny.

I thought I was good to go but about 100 miles later I just had my tranny overheat so I had it towed to a mechanic. I'm still not sure the extent of the damage

The fluid that boiled out of the breather was clean red not like the pepto bismol pink fluid I flushed the first time. Still not sure why I'm having issues...

Last edited by I'd do that again...; 05-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EagleArmsHBAR
I accidentally pushed the clutch in twice while water was near (or above) the bottom of the door on Saturday afternoon. I was at the beach and got unstuck within 10 minutes. After that, I immediately hosed the Jeep off with water and soap on the undercarriage. I have been worried that saltwater may have snuck in while I had the clutch briefly pushed in.

I have since put 250-300 miles on the Jeep since Saturday afternoon and have experienced no problems what so ever.

1) Can water seep in this way?
2) If everything is running fine, do I need to worry about it?
3) what do I do to fix the problem?

Pic of my stupidity:

Well, you should be okay if you have not gotten that dreaded clutch squeal. Where it squeals and as soon as you depress the clutch 1/4"and the squeal stops. I would say you are very lucky and the water was very clean and not much debris (sand & dirt)...next time drive in 4LO into water and pick a gear 2 or 3rd...if you stall you can start without depressing the clutch.

Fluids looks like you maybe okay as well as it looks like you did not reach over your Diff Breather tubes. This maybe a good time to search out your Jeep and look for the top of the diff breather's so you get a feel of where your limits are for water depths.

If you have a few miles on your rig and approaching your fluid changes...then it maybe worth while to refresh your fluids (diff's, Tranny and transfer case). Just follow WOL's write-up's for easy DIY instructions.

Quick Reply: Oops, I may have a problem with water...