Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

One power window doesn't work - things to check?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One power window doesn't work - things to check?

One rear power window doesn't operate. Before I go to the dealer is there anything to check? If it's the one power window motor, how much will that set-me-back?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor is low on the list of things that would probably go out. First thing to do is get a cheap volt meter & check voltage to the plug. If you are having trouble finding the hot & grounds, check them against the other door.

If you are getting voltage to the plug, check the connections on the back side for continuity. Then trace it up to the motor from there.

If it is the motor, it's a pretty easy fix.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rear drivers side window wouldnt go down the other day. all I did to make it work was moved the button up and down really hard and it started working. maybe it was just dirty inside the switch? who knows, but as long as it works....
The following users liked this post:
Bryant1227@yahoo.com (12-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Two things:

1. Check and make sure the electrical plug and play socket is connected all the way and locked (slide little red tab over). Sometimes it seems like it's in but not connected all the way.

2. Restart Jeep? Mine stopped working for no reason on one side (driver side). I switched off then on my ignition and problem solved. Perhaps a computer glitch.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Mine stopped working on my drivers side front door. It turned out to be a bad wire harness going from the plug to the door. It would only work if you moved it around. The harness is only about $25.00.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 AM
Former Member

Turn the handle around in the correct direction to raise the glass.
Rotate in the opposite direction to lower.

Sorry about that but I got every option on my Rubi except the top line radio and power windows or locks.

They're the biggest source of aggravation on any vehicle.

They only stop working when you really need them.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my Jeep back from the dealer to fix the brake interlock for the A/T (I didn't need to push the brake to go in gear). Any who, now my rear windows won't go down, both of them!

I pulled the battery cable, jiggled the switches (front and rear) and still nothing.

I did have the doors off just last week but the windows were working before i dropped the jeep off.
It's all still under warranty, and I'll post their resolution later, but it's really aggravating getting it back from the dealer only to have to take right back to fix something else.

Quick Reply: One power window doesn't work - things to check?