Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Once it starts...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Once it starts...

I had a rock go through my windshield up by Santa Barbara recently - nothing to write home about, but it was the start of my latest adventure. I took the Jeep to the place recommended by my insurance and the dealer, this is where it started to get interesting. They replaced the windshield and at 20 mph I had a loud whistling sound that wasn't there before. I took it back and they rescheduled for the next weekend. Got it back the second time (new windshield as they broke the first new one taking it out) still whistled but now not until 45 mph, but this time they decided not to put my antenna back on when they finished. I went back in and they scheduled for the following Friday morning (yes time is going by pretty quickly now). I show up with both of my JKs - one to get fixed and the other to show these idiots how the windshield needs to sit correctly in the frame. I ask for my antenna again and 20 minutes later, while I am waiting on my replacement to finish up I get a call on my mobile telling me they just found my antenna and would I like to come down to have it put back on
Well they got this windshield installed so it didn't whistle, but in the process broke my shifter boot ring back two plastic fake screws so the boot flapped up in the cab. When I pointed this out they claimed it came in this way Now I just want to get away from there. My insurance so far has paid for everything except my first $100 deductable for glass. I have had many conversations with them to let them know they were only on the hook for one install and one glass due to the ineptness of the business I was sent to. Time for a few to calm down and get back to normal.

I go out the next morning to clean off some bugs and find they trashed the frame when cutting out the last window and used a black primer pen to cover it up - took the paint off down to the metal in 5 different sections around the windshield. After another call to my insurance they agreed to cover the repair under the original order - just don't take it any where near these idiots. No problem the windshield doesn't whistle anymore, just need a little paint repair so I take it to the place the dealer and Insurance co recommend, they pull the whole front window assembly off, take out the window (breaking it in the process) and perform a beautiful repair. I get the Jeep back and at 50 mph it whistles again can't be, can it? I had a long talk with the body shop before they started to walk through the problems that led to my coming in. Turns out they replaced the header seal under the front freedom tops and now the front of the tops bows up at speed and doesn't seal.

Today I started wearing earplugs to cut down the whistling until I can fix the top, good thing my 6-disc is loud enough to drive through them
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sounds like a complete nightmare
Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I am about to take mine in for a second replacement of my windshield (second unrelated break in a year) but after reading your ordeal I am a little scared....what to do, what to do???

Were you sent to a local shop or one of the national glass chains?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

National chain - Safelite
Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, sorry about your ordeal. I don't think anyone wants a nightmare like yours.
I used Safelite (Progressive recommended) when my windshield was destroyed by a gravel truck on I-80 on my trip out to Yellowstone last year. The mobile Safelite repairman came right to where my Jeep was parked at work. Apparently I was fortunate to have an experienced technician (23 years on the job) who did a perfect replacement. No scratches or leaks. He took pride in his workmanship and did the job right. When he was finished, he vacuumed my Jeep and wiped down the interior with vinyl cleaner and a microfiber towel. He told me horror stories about some shops, including Safelite ones, who rush the job and foul up. One good thing I did notice was the guarantee. It's lifetime. You don't have to file with the insurance company. You deal directly with the Safelite agent. I'd ask around until I'd found a shop (or mobile unit) that customers rave about, then take it there, tell them your story, and ask for their most experienced technician.
I wouldn't put up with shoddy workmanship from anyone, including myself.
Good Luck.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Wow, what a horror story.
I just had my work truck windshield replaced, and 3 guys I work with had theirs done as well. The company (Kings auto glass) sent out two guys that were awesome. Aside from the fact the tech's were late, everything went smooth.
It took them just over an hour to replace 4 windshields, and nothing was wrecked in the process.
One tech had 40 years experience, and the other had 8 years experience.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

You too, huh?

My story -

09 Rubicon two door. Windshield got broken, I had it replaced in the spring. My insurance company turned it over to Safelite to do the work. The replacement windshield whistled just like you described. I called, they came out and installed windshield #2. This one didn't whistle, but they did a very sloppy job and had urethane sealer rolled over the pinch weld inside the jeep. They also got grease or dirt all over the passenger seat. I called them to come out and clean up their mess. I thought they would just trim away the excess urethane. Nope, instead they replaced the windshield again. Had I been home at the time I would have stopped them, but my girlfriend was handling it for me while I was at work. Windshield #3 whistled terribly. I called again. They came out and installed windshield #4. It whistled too. My girlfriend went on a test ride with the installer. When she pointed out the noise he tried to tell her it was caused by something else. She called him out on it and said this is exactly the same noise it has had with each replacement windshield except for replacement #2. He then said he couldn't do anything more and I would have to contact his manager. When I got home and inspected the work I found the telltale black primer all over the windshield frame the ham-fisted tech used in an attempt to cover up all of the scratches and damage he did.

I called the Manager and arranged for him to come out to my work and meet me in the parking lot. He showed up with a replacement windshield and a rubber molding he wanted to put on the back side of the glass to take up the air space and stop the whistling. However, when he looked at the windshield frame he said he wasn't even going to waste our time replacing it again. Instead he told me to take it to the body shop of my choice. He would come out and pull the windshield, and pay the body shop to refinish the windshield frame. Then he would come out and install windshield #5. Sounded good to me.

I dropped the jeep off with the body shop and provided them with all of the contact info for Safelite. They refinished the windshield frame and called satellite to install windshield #5. Unfortunately the satellite Manager was off unexpectedly that day, but he left instructions on what to do concerning the molding on the back side of the windshield. The dumbasses didn't follow his instructions and installed windshield #5 without the back molding. Big surprise, the windshield whistled. The next day when the Safelite Manager found out what happened he was furious. He went out to the body shop, pulled the windshield, and had the body shop repaint the windshield frame AGAIN. He then came out and installed windshield #6, which was finally whistle free. But the story doesn't end there.

A little over a week ago I came out to the jeep after a 12 hour work day (during which it rained all day) and found the dash and floor on both sides absolutely soaked. I'm an ex auto Tech with 20 years of experience, so I've dealt with more than my share of water leaks over the years. I water tested the vehicle and found the water was getting in between the windshield header and the header seal. I took it back to the body shop. They replaced the header seal, all but admitting they didn't get the old seal properly re-taped to the header. Yesterday it rained, but not very hard. I think there was still a bit of leakage on the passenger side. I intend to water test it this weekend and find out for sure.

This whole ordeal has been going on for 6 months. I've become so disgusted with the results I've considered trading it in on a new one, which I really don't want to do because this one has a lifetime power train warranty, only has 23000 miles on it, and is almost paid for.

What a bummer. For anyone who winds up with a cracked windshield, make sure you find a glass company that knows the vehicle and knows how to do a proper replacement. The end result from an inexperienced or uncaring installer can be pretty disastrous.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow remind me never to get my windsheild replaced. Right now its just patched up but I know my days are numbered
Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

I am surprised to hear the issues, this jeeps windshield is incredibly easy to replace. Should be a slam dunk job for even a half brained installer.

Quick Reply: Once it starts...