Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Once it starts...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Once it starts...

I had a rock go through my windshield up by Santa Barbara recently - nothing to write home about, but it was the start of my latest adventure. I took the Jeep to the place recommended by my insurance and the dealer, this is where it started to get interesting. They replaced the windshield and at 20 mph I had a loud whistling sound that wasn't there before. I took it back and they rescheduled for the next weekend. Got it back the second time (new windshield as they broke the first new one taking it out) still whistled but now not until 45 mph, but this time they decided not to put my antenna back on when they finished. I went back in and they scheduled for the following Friday morning (yes time is going by pretty quickly now). I show up with both of my JKs - one to get fixed and the other to show these idiots how the windshield needs to sit correctly in the frame. I ask for my antenna again and 20 minutes later, while I am waiting on my replacement to finish up I get a call on my mobile telling me they just found my antenna and would I like to come down to have it put back on
Well they got this windshield installed so it didn't whistle, but in the process broke my shifter boot ring back two plastic fake screws so the boot flapped up in the cab. When I pointed this out they claimed it came in this way Now I just want to get away from there. My insurance so far has paid for everything except my first $100 deductable for glass. I have had many conversations with them to let them know they were only on the hook for one install and one glass due to the ineptness of the business I was sent to. Time for a few to calm down and get back to normal.

I go out the next morning to clean off some bugs and find they trashed the frame when cutting out the last window and used a black primer pen to cover it up - took the paint off down to the metal in 5 different sections around the windshield. After another call to my insurance they agreed to cover the repair under the original order - just don't take it any where near these idiots. No problem the windshield doesn't whistle anymore, just need a little paint repair so I take it to the place the dealer and Insurance co recommend, they pull the whole front window assembly off, take out the window (breaking it in the process) and perform a beautiful repair. I get the Jeep back and at 50 mph it whistles again can't be, can it? I had a long talk with the body shop before they started to walk through the problems that led to my coming in. Turns out they replaced the header seal under the front freedom tops and now the front of the tops bows up at speed and doesn't seal.

Today I started wearing earplugs to cut down the whistling until I can fix the top, good thing my 6-disc is loud enough to drive through them

Edit: didn't know if I could name the first bunch of clowns so I didn't
Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider myself easy going but this would have raised my Irish. Sorry to read about your ordeal, especially the damage to the window frame. Fortunately, I've not had a need but once and I already had three estimates from places I wanted to go before the at-fault insurance agent even contacted me. They can sugest but the choice is yours and the insurance adjuster negotiates with them for best price. My thought on it is the insurace company is going with best price and not much else so I'd almost want to go anywhere else. RV makes a nice sealent if for some reason you still have issues and get frustrated.

Quick Reply: Once it starts...