Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ok quick question:

Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok quick question:

I took my spare tire and holder off. I was wondering what the vent thing was for that's in the middle of the tail gate?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Air pressure. You ever notice how it's kinda tough to shut the doors with the windows sealed and rolled up? And when you've got a hardtop, it's a lot tougher to shut doors with everything sealed. Well that little vent helps with this. Without it, the doors probably wouldn't shut. Really shows how airtight the cabins can be!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

also relieves the pressure a little bit when driving with the top on and the windows down
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

With my hard top it is tough to shut the doors, but with my soft top...not so much. I replaced the header, did make it tighter but still not enough to kick the door back or inflate the top when shutting the doors.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi

it has slots cut in it and does the same thing as the factory one.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The rear vent's function is to ensure flow-through ventilation. The air comes in the front vent, and exits the rear vent.
Vehicles have had flow-through ventilation for many years.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adrom
also relieves the pressure a little bit when driving with the top on and the windows down
I've noticed much greater header wind noise with the soft top up (doors on and windows in) when I have stuff in the back blocking the vent. And I have the "new header."
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The rear vent's function is to ensure flow-through ventilation. The air comes in the front vent, and exits the rear vent.
Vehicles have had flow-through ventilation for many years.
Yeah, on sedans the exit vents are sometimes visible on the C-pillars but usually the air exits the cabin through vents on the rear parcel shelf or to the sides of the rear seat and into the trunk, and from there out of the vehicle through concealed vents around/behind the tail lights/bumper/licence plate etc so we're often not even aware of them. On the JK with the spare removed, they stand out like the proverbial dog's gonads.

Last edited by JKlad; 04-27-2011 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Ok quick question: