Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homer
bingo! The response is nothing like an old cable system.
Doesn't rev up quickly nor slow revs quickly.

Wonder if the f-16 pilots have the same issue
it does take some getting used to esp if you burp the throttle and notice the rpm's hang for a sec or two it is even worse on a double overdrive 18 speed that i have driven tho you really have to pay attention when shifting i sure do miss the old cable systems
Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

You guys have given me some great advice. Through the joking and hints, I think I really got it down now. What did it for me was the hint to let the clutch out unitl it starts engaging and THEN start giving it a little gas. Smooth as silk.

The fly by wire throttle is really a pain in the butt...its impossible to hold the accelarator at a constant rpm.

All good...thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nepatsfn
Have you guys ever gone from 5th to reverse
Um ,er, well, almost. Was driving home late one night along the highway. Hit a HUGE pothole while shifting from 5th to 6th. My weight shifted to the right and I felt the stick ride over the hump to the reverse zone. I was going about 100 Kms (about 60 mpg) Luckily my clutch was still in but talk about a pucker factor
Back to the subject. I HATE first gear. It makes the revs go sky high just to get it moving. Seems my clutch is just released when I have to press it again to get to second. Mostly now I start off in second unless I'm going up hill. Is this a really bad idea?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

starting out in 1st or 2nd all has to do with gearing. my jeep has 3.21's, so you really have to slip the clutch to get it to start out in 2nd, i always start in first. i'd imagine if you have 4.10's, 1st gear is way too low, and it's best to start in 2nd. Start off in the highest gear you can without slipping the clutch. If you are taking more than a couple seconds from the time the clutch starts to engage, and the time you let off on the pedal, then you are slipping it.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

I've had mine for about a month now and no problems. Did take some getting used to though (definitely NOT my GMC 5spd). I agree with starting in 2nd. With the 4.10 in city traffic start/stop scenario I've done it a few times and haven't had any problems.

Did slip the stick into 4th instead of 6 once or twice, when shifting to 6 you have to be reaching a bit. No problems though.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have only driven stick shifts all my life. 1st gear was really jerky with the stock 32" tires on it, but when I upgraded to 35"s 1st gear became much more usable. I still haven't changed out gears (4.10s) so I am thinking that was the reason. Seems all the gears shifted with the bigger tires. Now my 6th gear ain't worth a damn.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

I just got my 08 Rubi. 1st gear pops out with hard launch. very slowly releasing clutch is 50/50 for popping out. only 260 mile. should i bring it back or break it in a little
Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this is my second 6 speed Jeep and my 3rd 6 speed vehicle overall

1] the drive by wire has a slight delay so give it a touch of gas and then ease int the gas and throttle.. smooth everytime

2] if you are used to a TJ.. give it a little more gas than you wold a TJ.. rememebr the TJ was inline 6 this one is v-6. inline 6 lots of low end torque, v-6 all its power on the top..

3] the RPMs coming down slowly make it very easy to make completely smooth shifts.. meaning smoother than an automatic.. just learn the RPM to speed for which gear you are hitting and you are golden..

4] think of the clutch as a dimmer not a switch.. meaning it has varying degrees of engagement you can ease it in and dont have to pop it out.. about 2 seconds is the time I take to take off from a dead stop.. meaning 2 seconds from the time I start to feel engagement till my foot is off the pedal completely.. along with easing into the throttle..

5] its very notchy going from 1st to second - its a truck tranny not a miata tranny.. i always make my shifts 2 motions.. shift from 1st to neutral (ever so slight pause) then go into 2nd. gives the syncros a chance to catch up... whereas those used to sports car trannies you are usedto a single motion.. right from 1st to 2nd..

hope this helps
-Christopher
Old 03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Without a checklist, many zoomies are lost.

Quick Reply: OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!