Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!

Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I almost always start in 2nd unless I'm on a slope or pulling something. Seems to be a lot smoother. Other 6 speeds I've driven have been the same way. 1st is almost like a Underdrive (oposite of overdrive) and seems to work best when under more load.
I am new to drive a stick(my first), while I am not having any problems other than sometimes it is a little rough going from 1st to 2nd

May I ask, how do you start in second?.... I mean I have tried a time or to and ......Sputter, sputter , die...............

Maybe I am doing something wrong

Also Sometimes I find my self shifting into Neutrel, coasting up to red lights/off exit ramps then putting into 1st or 2nd depending on speed, is this ok or should you always downshift?

I have no regrets though, Stick all the way......I will never buy another auto
Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris15005
it's the drive by wire throttle it takes awhile to get used to i drive tractor trailer and i had the same issue when i got my first drive by wire big truck too. I agree tho the JK takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to esp since you can't hear the engine when u first start out. What i have found that works is let the clutch out till it starts to grab and then ease the fuel pedal on with your toes it worked for me might for you too. On a side note with the top down there is no issues for me.
bingo! The response is nothing like an old cable system.
Doesn't rev up quickly nor slow revs quickly.

Wonder if the f-16 pilots have the same issue
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derekls
May I ask, how do you start in second?.... I mean I have tried a time or to and ......Sputter, sputter , die...............
easy fix is more gas.

Originally Posted by derekls
Also Sometimes I find my self shifting into Neutrel, coasting up to red lights/off exit ramps then putting into 1st or 2nd depending on speed, is this ok or should you always downshift?
you don't have to downshift. it helps the brakes though.

when i was taught, i was told not to downshift to 1st.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 AM
JK Newbie

Have you guys ever gone from 5th to reverse
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no problems with my 6-speed
Old 03-18-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

This is my 2nd 6-speed Wrangler (I had an '05 TJ) and it shifts just fine. I had to get used to the pedals being shifted to the left (and no footrest for my clutch foot), but other than that, smooth shifting. I've only had an auto tranny for a combined 3 years in my 21 years of driving, so I have become used to a variety of manual transmissions. Interestingly, all of them have been different from each other, though.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my first stick. I don't have any problem with the clutch. I always have smooth take offs and also start in 1st. When it comes to stopping I just pop it in Neutral. Brakes are cheaper then a Clutch.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the first manual i've owned, but i've driven a handful of em.... I have no complaints about being able to get it in 1st or second smoothly... just wish the travel werent so darn long. IMO no need to move my whole leg that much.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

this is my 3rd manual, and it maybe took me a day or so to get the feel of this one.

.....but i found it interesting that a total of 5 people have driven my jeep since i got it and ALL 5 have stalled it.

and none of the 5 are rookies on the standard.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nepatsfn
Have you guys ever gone from 5th to reverse
i have gone from 6th to 3rd before on accident tho that'll wake ya up and test the seat belts LOL

Quick Reply: OK, I Give Up...I can't shift this thing!!