Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

oil light constantly turning on and off?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil light constantly turning on and off? UPDATE

wasnt sure to where to post this, but yesterday i while driving my jeep the oil light (red one that looks like a oil can, not the change oil indicator) turn on, stayed on for a minute or two, turned off for a minute or two and kept repeating this action, turning on and off that is. I got home, checked my oil, and the dipstick is indicating that its in the safe zone. this mornining driving to work it started doing the same thing, so once again checked the oil, was still in the safe zone.

anyone have any ideas?

Update: took it to the dealer, there was a broken wire (not the oil pressure sensor, dealer said it was a wire underneath the o2 sensor. i couldnt talk to the mechanic had went home for the day by time i picked it up) but anyways, they re ran new wire and they symptoms went away.

Last edited by sleeves; 06-04-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you could do is have the dealer check it out.
It could be something as simple as a faulty sensor.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its not just an oil level light its an oil pressure light take it to dealer to make sure oil pump is working
Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

most definatly the oil pressure sending unit(sensor).
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also it could be a shorted or grounded oil lead wire

Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

If you have time before you crank it to take it to the dealer you could check to see if it is throwing any trouble codes. Put your key in the ignition and turn it from off to on 3 times, leaving it on the third time, you will get a list of error codes displayed on the dash where the odometer reads out. If no codes are found the read out will report "done". Being able to tell the service writer you are throwing codes and what the codes are may convince them you have a problem if the oil light decides to take a rest from flashing while at the dealer. Even if no codes are found you need to take it in. I would be interested in any codes you find. Goodluck
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tried the code trick, it came up with done. interesting enough though, i was digging around in the engine and noticed that the o2 sensor wiring harness was not locked into place. its pouring down rain outside so i havent tried to see if this possibly effect the oil light at all . i know its a long shot and probably has no effect on it whatsoever but maybe?..... i cant make it up to the dealer til tuesday ( luckily i got another vehicle)
Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
most definatly the oil pressure sending unit(sensor).
Oil pressure doesn't come and go, the pump is either working or not. yes the light comes on at 4psi and the pump could be running at 4psi but if that were the case engine damage would of already happened.

just have a look at it, if its leaking through the sensor(leaking down the wire, not at the block were it threads in) it needs replacing.

Quick Reply: oil light constantly turning on and off?