Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Life

Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might sound like a stupid question. Growing up my dad always said to change a cars oil every 3 months or 3k miles. We can take longer to change a Jeep's oil? This is my first Wrangler. Its a 2011 with 31xxx miles. Granted my dad has always had older cars.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I miss the percentage from my CTS-V as well, but I have user the oil life system in the 3 vehicles I've owned and it works fine. JK finally came out at 9500 miles this past week, so I changed it and it looked fine, just used, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have a friend who had his come on at 8200, but he does more city driving than me, so I would expect that.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JOJO'SJK
This might sound like a stupid question. Growing up my dad always said to change a cars oil every 3 months or 3k miles. We can take longer to change a Jeep's oil? This is my first Wrangler. Its a 2011 with 31xxx miles. Granted my dad has always had older cars.
Some vehicles, depending on how they are actually used, should have the oil changed that often, maybe even sooner. Other vehicle, again, depending on how they are used can go significantly longer.

The 3mo/3k interval for everyone is unrealistic. Especially with the advances in motor oil formulations and engine technologies of the past 10-25 years.

The JK has a pretty good OCI that monitors the "duty cycle" of the motor specific to your use. Even if you're using conventional oil.

Be sure to get in the habit of checking the oil dipstick regularly, learn how to reset the OCI when you do an oil change, and see what it tells you about how you use the engine. But also follow whatever change interval any warranty you have might require.

Check out "Bob is the oil guy" for all the oil info you could ever want and more...
Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy
Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you very much for the information @Jiblet.

Quick Reply: Oil Life