Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil level?

Old 09-26-2018, 04:16 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil level?

I have a question about oil level. I changed the oil and used a exstended / longer oil filter then the stock one. When I check my oil first thing in the morning when the Jeep has sat all night. The level reads full on the dipstick. When I check it after driving when it’s hot. It is almost a quart low. I know it has to do with the oil filter but which reading is correct? The oil filter I used was a Mobile 1 M1-209. My Jeep is a 2010 if that makes a difference.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The description of that filter says it has an anti-drain back valve. Maybe that filter's valve isn't working.

How long after you shut off the engine are you checking the oil?

Go back to the filter you were using and see if the oil level looks like it used to, under the same conditions.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:55 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe 5 or 10 minutes.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Ron nailed it, if the level goes up overnight (compared to 10 min after shutdown) the ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve) is leaking oil from the filter back to the pan. Makes sense that an ADBV leak shows up better on the oversize filter since there's more oil to drain back. On mine, the cold level looks about 1/16" to 1/8" lower the next morning compared with 10 min after shutdown -- That's due to cold oil being more dense.

I've had the oil level rise overnight symptom as well and it was accompanied by startup rattle. Been using Fram Ultra's lately (XG3600 on the JK) and haven't had any problems.

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-26-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil level?