Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak - Need help!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by liveadv
Spent 10 minutes underneath it tonight with a headlamp and flashlight. Wiped down the entire pan and around the gasket. Couldn't find any oil anywhere else. An no signs of leak within the minutes after I wiped it down.

I'm not sure what the part is, but there's a second series of bolts. A few inches above the bolts on the pan?? These bolts also had oil condensed on the bolt heads.

The ticking was always present for me also. But has gotten slightly more noticeable as of late... Errr maybe I'm just more paranoid?!
The oil pan has two parts; upper and lower. Hopefully its just the gasket leaking.

Many posters have reported ticking that is the result of cracked exhaust manifolds. You have to remove the heat shield to see. Early on, the tick goes away once the heated manifold expands enough to "seal". But they tend to get louder over time.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did something similar to a Mazda that 100,000 miles on it. Unfortunately synthetic oil does have more detergents in it but also has smaller atoms. My Mazda started using way more oil because the synthetic cleaned out all the goop that was causing it to run tight. I went back to the original but the problem never got better.

I run synthetic in my Jeep and had a lot of seepage around both upper and lower oil pans. I retrocede them to spec and they stopped.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mexidonia
I did something similar to a Mazda that 100,000 miles on it. Unfortunately synthetic oil does have more detergents in it but also has smaller atoms. My Mazda started using way more oil because the synthetic cleaned out all the goop that was causing it to run tight. I went back to the original but the problem never got better.

I run synthetic in my Jeep and had a lot of seepage around both upper and lower oil pans. I retrocede them to spec and they stopped.
Sorry. Damn autocorrect! Re-torqued the bolts on both pans.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liveadv
I did find a TSB for older models regarding the porousity of the timing cover, though i would assume if this is the culprit that i would have had this issue all along.
I had this issue fixed on my 2007 JKU. In may case, the oil looked like it was seeping from the oil pan gaskets and it was collecting on the bell housing and actually dripping from there. The bell housing is the just behind the oil pan (looking towards the rear bumper), it is the big round thing sticking down. The oil collected on the inspection cover, the piece with the four exposed bolts on it, and dripped from there. I would wipe it all up, and after about a week it would be back.

At the time I didn't know what it was. The dealer added a tracer dye, and for me it was the porous timing chain cover. It seeps through the cover on the front of the engine and collects by the bell housing. I have read a few other posts of people have the same symptoms.

It "could" be your problem. I have also read the rear intake manifold gasket can leak oil down the rear of engine.

Mine looked a lot like this image: So what is this leak - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Quick Reply: Oil Leak - Need help!