Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak - Need help!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil Leak - Need help!

Hey guys i need some help figuring out whats going on with my 07 JKU Rubicon. Unfortunately I don't know enough about engines so i'm asking you experts for some advice.

background... bought the jeep used about a year ago. 2007 JKU Rubicon. Oil changed every 3k or so, switched to Valvoline Syn 5w-30 last oil change. I had noticed at the previous oil change that it was about a quart (maybe a little more low). figured this was normal in reading multiple posts that these jk's like to burn oil.

I have always experienced a light ticking in the engine which i passed off as normal. i felt as though it was getting a bit louder the past days, so i investigated further. in checking the oil, it was SIGNIFICANTLY low.. about 2.5 quarts or more. about 3500 miles since i changed to synthetic. i added 2 qts this morning. when i came out of work this afternoon, i noticed two small drip spots (maybe a 2" diameter each) one towards the front of the engine and one towards the back.

I got under the jeep and there is a good amount of oil all around the pan. each bolt on the pan, and the bolts just about the pan all had oil on and around them.

i don't have any knowledge on part names, so please bear with me.

I did find a TSB for older models regarding the porousity of the timing cover, though i would assume if this is the culprit that i would have had this issue all along.

please lend me your knowledge as to how i should go forward with this. obviously i have no type of warranty so $$ is of course an issue. I've wiped down everything underneath, and hope to take another look tomorrow to see if i can locate a leak.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

also - i've never had any check engine lights, oil pressure, etc..

could changing to synthetic cause this?! and if so should i switch back to conventional? i was planning to change the oil this weekend.

thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

You did screw the filter on tight right? Mine loosened up a little one time and seeped a little.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, filter is tight. No signs of leakage around the filter. I just wiped everything down. I'll see in the morning if I can narrow it down.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

since you wiped it down, watch for more drips and post some photos if you can.

The only difference using synthetic should make is that synthetics generally have a higher percentage of detergents in the additive package. That MAY have exposed an otherwise sludged-up leak. But I am guessing about that.

How many oil changes have you done since buying the rig? Do you do the changes yourself?

If I remember correctly, there were problems with weeping oil from poorly cast housings on some early models.....

But yours sounds more like a gasket.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll snap some pics when some oil appears.

I'm guessing 5 oil changes since I've owned, the last two I have done myself.

Any correlation with a tapping/ticking noise and oil leak?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A broken connecting rod....usually happens when engine is very low on oil. In a catastrophic failure they can be thrown through the block.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thrown rod.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	234792

My engine has been noisy since day one...kind of "normal" for this engine. Some also burn up to 1 qt of oil between changes. Yours is obviously leaking from a gasket or main seal. Can be hard to diagnose when oil is thrown all over the engine.

Last edited by OH9JK; 11-09-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ticking is not very loud or harsh sounding. I'm assuming a broken rod would be pretty loud?

I'm thinking it's the oil pan gasket.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liveadv
The ticking is not very loud or harsh sounding. I'm assuming a broken rod would be pretty loud?

I'm thinking it's the oil pan gasket.
Yes it would be very loud.

Is there oil anywhere else on the engine or just around the oil pan?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Spent 10 minutes underneath it tonight with a headlamp and flashlight. Wiped down the entire pan and around the gasket. Couldn't find any oil anywhere else. An no signs of leak within the minutes after I wiped it down.

I'm not sure what the part is, but there's a second series of bolts. A few inches above the bolts on the pan?? These bolts also had oil condensed on the bolt heads.

The ticking was always present for me also. But has gotten slightly more noticeable as of late... Errr maybe I'm just more paranoid?!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak - Need help!