Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Leak

Old 03-24-2023, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Angry Oil Leak

Well, discovered that I have an oil leak. Not sure when it started as it was pooling up on the skid plate and when it did start dripping, I thought it was really bad. Added 2/3 of a quart of oil on Sunday afternoon and I check the oil every morning and it is still full according to the dipstick. It's leaking, but barely apparently.

Pulled the skid plates, sprayed some Purple Stuff degreaser all over the transmission, bell housing, oil pan, etc. I have the funny feeling that it MIGHT be the oil cooler/filter. I shined a flashlight down into the valley and looked around and didn't see the pool of oil. Instead, all I could see was a thin film of oil down there. Kinda like what you'd have if you spilled a little when changing the filter and didn't get it completely wiped up. I got under the Jeep this afternoon after finding more drips since having cleaned everything up and again, oil down the back and the bell housing. I pulled the two rubber inspection plugs under the flywheel and yes, I have oil around them and up in the flywheel area. (I did clean those plugs really, really well when I degreased everything else). I am hoping it is not the rear main seal and I don't think it is. I did get these three pics today and these are of the driver side back towards the firewall. I don't know if this is indicative of the oil filter/cooler leak or not.

I am not exactly sure what that is that the oil is dripping off of. I haven't had a chance to research what it might be yet, so any hints would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to narrow it down because I am dropping it off at the shop that did my gears when I go back out of town next weekend. He's going to look at it and try to fix it. I'm just trying to give him a good starting point so he isn't wasting time searching as much. If it is the oil filter/cooler, is there anything else that might make sense to do while he has the intake off? Spark plugs? Coil packs, etc........
Old 03-24-2023, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

The symptoms you posted are generally associated with the Oil cooler adapter.. Check you oil filter cap, many times it get cracked from over tightening.. Seeing oil under along side / under the filter cooler housing is a clear indication of that being the culprit.. Have not read much about rear mains; not saying never on them though. Cannot tell much or guess from the pictures. My advise it to look more at the valley where the cooler adapter is for more puddling.. BTW is your rig on level ground overnight?
The following users liked this post:
Dat (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

When I replaced my oil cooler, my entire tranny and backside of the engine was a total mess. I really don't think mine was a very bad leak either.....and most the oil I observed in the valley I think actually came out as I was dismounting the cooler/housing assembly from the engine. It just seems we hardly ever see RMS being an issue on this 3.6L. Curious to see what the outcome here is though.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
Agent915 (05-28-2023), Dat (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 05:14 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine had gotten to where it marked its territory every time I stopped, turned out oil cooler, probably just the o rings, but I replaced the whole assembly with the dorman aluminum one
Agent915 (05-28-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really starting to think oil cooler as well. I'm going to see if I can find my bore snake and get it down in the valley to see what is going on tomorrow.

@Jay2013jk I park my Jeep on level pavement every night. I have checked the oil every morning since I added oil on Sunday and at random times throughout the day as I am driving it. It can't be a very bad leak since it is still full since topping it off.

@resharp001 I'm hoping it ain't the rms either. I'm just wondering how oil is getting into the bell housing and pooling around the rubber inspection plugs.........

Been monitoring oil pressure with the EVIC as well. It fluctuates with pedal input but seems to hold steady around 55-60 psi when using cruise control on the freeway.

I really can't wait to drop this thing off in a few days and go out of town for a month or two and come back to a leak free Jeep.

Last edited by chiapeteater; 03-24-2023 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well it ended up being the oil cooler. They got the replacement one from Dorman in Thursday and got it and new spark plugs installed yesterday afternoon along with an oil change. Just got it back today.

Runs as expected, no surprises.

Agent915 (05-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Good thing....done and behind you....till the next time at least.
Agent915 (05-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil Leak