Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil filter review on You tube, Great!!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MD5
Could you please explain what is the "dry start" problem and which is the difference in the oil filter that can help in avoid it ?

I'm a CRD Diesel JK owner but I'm interested in learning more about the 3.8 engine.

Thanking in advance for any help

Dry start is when the the valves, tappets ect. clatter on start up and then quickly quiet to normal. It is generally attributed to the horizontally mounted oil filter letting the oil in the filter drain back into the oil pan when the engine is off. The clatter occurs while the filter re-fills with oil thus preventing oil circulation past the filter until the refilling is complete. The drain back valves mentioned in the videos are supposed to retain the oil in the filter while the engine is shut down.

There are a number of threads on this board discussing and cussing filters for dry starts. Some people swear by one brand while others swear at the same brand. I use the Fram Tough Guard and have never had a dry start with it. Others will swear at it because they had a dry start but love Mopar filters. Me, I had dry starts with the factory installed Mopar filter.

When it was time for my 1st oil change the posters in the most active thread I came across appeared to be favoring the Fram Tough Guards and Mobil 1 5W-20. I was all ready planning to run Mobil 1 5W-20 so based on that thread I went with the Fram's. Threads since then have favored different brands. Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 PM
MD5
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the YouTube Link!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MD5
Could you please explain what is the "dry start" problem and which is the difference in the oil filter that can help in avoid it ?

I'm a CRD Diesel JK owner but I'm interested in learning more about the 3.8 engine.

Thanking in advance for any help

You have a diesel so dry start is a non-issue. Diesel filters do not even have drain back valves. You only worry about dry start on gas motors.

Quick Reply: Oil filter review on You tube, Great!!