Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil filter review on You tube, Great!!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil filter review on You tube, Great!!

Hey everyone, I ran into this guy's youtube page where he cut open 10 oil filters and compared the guts of them. This is probably one of the most uniform reviews I have seen. Take a look. I watched all ten videos. Appears the Amsoil had the largest anti drain back valve. But surprisingly the Fram Tough Guard had a couple of unqiue features to prevent drainback but still had the cheap endcaps.

I know dry start is a big issue with 3.8 engines so I found this very informative. It's just the facts for you to decide without all the marketing hype.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ckermit8#p/u/4/1Xojk5eoCpU
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually pretty surprised by some of these. I would have expected more.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking for a AMSOil dealer near me, I found out that they also make Wix. After watching the videos, those were the only 2 I was considering.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

My issue with these videos is the lack of analysis of the design. He took apart the filters, but did nothing to state how different designs affect performance. For instance, how does the different design of the anti-drainback valve on the wix affect performance.

This really is a lot of data, but not a lot of information.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed. You still need to go to the manufacturer to get filter specs.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

After dealing with Mazda for over year suing them for not wanting to cover my new engine under warranty, I learned a great lesson. Have your oil changes done at the dealer. Yes I know I would prefer to run syn versus dino, but even though I won it was a pain in the ass. So the jeep goes in every time the alarm goes off, best $20 buck protection I can ask for. So the 2009 goes in and the 2007 runs 0-40 Mobil 1 with stock oil filter.

FYI, they tried pulling the old BS, well we need receipts for oil changes line, and when provided well you did the work how to we know it was for this car. Cost them a lot more in the end, but they still pull the same crap on other Mazda 3's with the same oil starvation issue.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glennco
My issue with these videos is the lack of analysis of the design. He took apart the filters, but did nothing to state how different designs affect performance. For instance, how does the different design of the anti-drainback valve on the wix affect performance.

This really is a lot of data, but not a lot of information.
It's just a visual review from an average Joe perspective. You would need some serious flow and test equipment to go any further, but none the less very informative. I am also still curious how some of the different designs also effect real world performance.

For example:
Does having a large surface area anti-drain back valve (like in the Amsoil) actually work better then say the Wix design with the add on piece?
Does the Fram bypass valve really work better then the other spring loaded designs?

Last edited by burnout88; 05-22-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never knew that the metal canisters contained some flex.....
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Very interesting.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 AM
MD5
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by burnout88
I know dry start is a big issue with 3.8 engines...
http://www.youtube.com/user/ckermit8#p/u/4/1Xojk5eoCpU
Could you please explain what is the "dry start" problem and which is the difference in the oil filter that can help in avoid it ?

I'm a CRD Diesel JK owner but I'm interested in learning more about the 3.8 engine.

Thanking in advance for any help

Quick Reply: Oil filter review on You tube, Great!!