Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

oil filter change mess

Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter change mess

I like working on my 2011 JK but I'm one of those guys who wrenches on their back, on the floor, in the garage. I also like a neat job so one of the tasks I dread is changing the oil filter. I ALWAYS drip oil onto the axle and floor. Is there a trick to getting the filter off without dripping onto the engine and axle? Is the a filter relocation kit?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

I use a painters bucket when I change the oil. Put it under the filter, can't miss it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always cut a gallon milk jug in half and use the top half stuffed with a shop towel.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can use aluminum foil shaped into a trough to channel the oil away to where you want it.
I don't use it on the Jeep, but it's good on my bike as the filter is directly above the headers.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by havochaos
I always cut a gallon milk jug in half and use the top half stuffed with a shop towel.
Similarly, I use a 2-liter soda bottle or washer fluid bottle to make a canoe like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jp2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	380688
Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

5-inch Tupperware container (don't tell my wife). Small container fits perfectly on top of the axle tube right below the filter, then I just loosen the filter and everything drops right into the container.

Or use Mobile 1 oil filters. Their anti-drainback valves are so bad that if you let the Jeep sit for more than an hour, all oil will drain out of the filter and into the pan, so there's nothing in there to drip when you remove the filter.

Quick Reply: oil filter change mess