Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil consumption test

Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption test

Hello fellow JK owners.

I have a 2010 JKU with a little over 48k KM or around 30k miles. I purchased it used about a year ago and noticed not long after I got it that it was using oil between oil changes. I went through the consumption test with my dealer and over the 5000 KM's it burned over 3 litres of oil. At the last oil check the shop foreman looked at the service tech and told him to book me for the engine rebuild. The service tech booked the appointment. Yesterday I dropped the jeep off at the dealer and was told that they would need it for a couple days. At the end of the day yesterday the service tech calls and tells me that Chrysler isn't going to authorize the rebuild and that I could pickup the jeep. I went to the dealer this morning and talked to the service manager and he told me that they contacted Chrysler and the first thing Chrysler told them to check was the spark plugs. They found one plug that was cracked and now want to replace all the plugs and wires. They are telling me that the cracked plug could be causing the consumption problem. I'm not sure I believe that, I have never seen on any forum where replacing the plugs fixed the consumption problem. I would think that the consumption problem may have caused the problem with the plugs, not the other way around. Anyway, they will not do anything until the plugs are replaced so I'm going to tackle that job myself tonight.

Does anyone on here have any experience with oil consumption and spark plugs and how they relate?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

My 10 burns oil also. It burns the synthetic more than anything else. I started the test and have to replace my pcv valve and hose all well as have an engine decarb done. It helped for a little while but after about 2,000 miles it starts burning like crazy. I'm still going through the motions with my dealer. You may want to start with the pcv valve and change to factory oil and see where that gets you. Replacing the plugs and wires is going to need to be done to appease the dealer. Not a great option but they have us by the balls and they know it!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the dealer replaced the PVC valve before starting the consumption test.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was burning a lot on my 08 I changed to 5w30 and no more oil loss
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 AM
kik
JK Freak

Chrysler indicates that they won't do anything as long as the engine uses no more than 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. Switching to 5w30 and PCV replacement, which was done, is basically all you can do.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kik
Chrysler indicates that they won't do anything as long as the engine uses no more than 1 qt. every 1,000 miles. Switching to 5w30 and PCV replacement, which was done, is basically all you can do.

Yeah, I heard that too. At the end of my oil consumption test, it was discovered that the engine burned just under 4 liters in 5000 km. Chrysler told the dealer to tell me it was "within specs", so no rebuild. I called Chrysler and spoke to a "customer care expert" and asked 2 questions:

1. What is Chrysler's recommended oil change interval? I was told "it's in your owner's manual", to which I replied "I've lost mine, could you tell me?".

The answer was 6 months or 8000 km.

"Knowing that", I said, "please explain how a car with the potential to burn over 6 liters of oil between recommended oil change intervals could possibly be within spec when the oil capacity of the engine is only 5.5 liters? Are you actually telling me that a vehicle built in 2011 could potentially run bone dry and still be within spec?"

I was put on hold for a few minutes, and then was told the engine would be rebuilt. It now burns about a liter every 5000k.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption test