Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change Question

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Question

about to change oil for first time in my jeep...What wieght should i use then..the factory recommemded......I have always used 10w30 in my past vehicles...i live in south louisiana so i dont have to worry about the cold....plus our winter is just about over...

i plan on changing my oil every 3000 miles( because this is habit and never had problems and i just like getting my hands dirty) i was thinking about making the switch to synthetic oil for the first time... but if i plan on changing my oil that frequently would it just be a waste of money?
is there a site that expains the difference, benefits /cons of dino and snythetic oils in simpleton terms so a dumbass like me can learn somthing
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

If you are going to change it every 3000 miles, dino oil is fine.
From the owner's manual:
Use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of
DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.
I would stick to what it says, for warranty reasons. However, 5W-30 may be more common on the shelf, and won't hurt your engine.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-09-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

5w30 will effect your fuel milage though.
stick with 5w20 or 0w20 and youll have no problems
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

bobistheoilguy.com has a lot of great info on different oils, it's a great site.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

If you have the lifetime powertrain warranty (and Chrysler still exists in some form) use 5W20. It makes no sense to use anything else - if there is an expensive engine failure they are at liberty to test the oil quality/type as a contibutory factor - it'd be foolish not to use what they reccomend.

I'd reccomend Mobil1 Synthetic - proven record and definite benefits under extreme conditions (starting, high temp). Used by many manufacturers and racing teams by default.

In Eu oil changes are typically scheduled for 10-15kmiles per change - only in the US do people change every 3-6kmiles. However in Eu it costs about 80USD per 5Q/l compared to 26USD at WM....
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Use 6 quarts of Castrol Synthetic SAE 5w-20 oil, and make sure you buy a fresh FRAM oil filter. Trust me, this set up is prime for your JK. It will accelerate smoother and hit better mileage. Mopar doesn't use the best, although they claim they do. Just trust me on this set up.

If your oil light still comes on, this is what you do...

Turn the key into the on position, when the "oil change" light/words flash on, with in 10 seconds, press on the accelerate 3 times. Then, turn the Jeep off. Then, turn the jeep fully on and wait a few seconds to make sure the "oil change" light is off. If not, then repeat until it does. Sometimes it may take a couple tries.

Good Luck.

You'll need a 13mm socket for the oil pan plug and if you do change your oil filter, invest in an oil filter grip (only like $8). Also, get 5 gallon+ bucket and any Checkers/Auto Zone should recycle your oil for free.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Use 6 quarts of Castrol Synthetic SAE 5w-20 oil, and make sure you buy a fresh FRAM oil filter. Trust me, this set up is prime for your JK. It will accelerate smoother and hit better mileage. Mopar doesn't use the best, although they claim they do. Just trust me on this set up.

If your oil light still comes on, this is what you do...

Turn the key into the on position, when the "oil change" light/words flash on, with in 10 seconds, press on the accelerate 3 times. Then, turn the Jeep off. Then, turn the jeep fully on and wait a few seconds to make sure the "oil change" light is off. If not, then repeat until it does. Sometimes it may take a couple tries.

Good Luck.

You'll need a 13mm socket for the oil pan plug and if you do change your oil filter, invest in an oil filter grip (only like $8). Also, get 5 gallon+ bucket and any Checkers/Auto Zone should recycle your oil for free.

Castrol Syntec is made from a base stock III group. Hardly the best motor oil of the synthetic brands.
As for a Fram oil filter there again, you should do some research.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Lorrel -- what would you use?

Me personally I've noticed an advantage with my setup. I feel that my Jeep runs smoother and doesn't feel so heavy on the accelerator. Plus, I do long road trips...well, let me clarify... I'll go wheeling every other weekend or so in places that require at least a 2 hours+ drive prior to a rigorous trail and I feel my Jeep is able to make climbs while going through the AZ mountains with less torque applied; not a huge significance, but nonetheless something I can feel in the foot pedals.

Those are just my 2 cents and opinion, though.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the average driver who is changing his oil and filter every 3K miles, I believe there is nothing wrong with a good grade conventional motor oil, and a reliable filter.
Synthetic oils have been around for quite a while now, and most brand names are pretty darn good, however if one is going to pay top price for a synthetic oil, one should get a good grade of synthetic oil using a Base IV stock. These are pretty much true synthetics, and not hydrocracked like the base 3 groups.

As for the filters, Frame has been in the market as long as I can remember, and was the filter to get back when I had a 70 HemiCuda. Alot has changed since that time, and change has come to the Frame filter line. Today most frame filters are manufactured by Allied Signal Inc, and they use cardboard end caps glued into place. This is not a good filter at all IMHO.

Since you have asked me what I use, although it really doesn't matter what I use, I will answer.
On my 94XJ bought new in early 94, I use Mobil 1 10W30 with a Mobil 1 filter, and have used this on the XJ since mid 94 when I switched over to synthetics.
As for the 07JK , I use mobil 1 5W20 with a NAPA Gold filter, and like the WIX is manufactured by Dana Corp.
I find that the Mobil 1 filter is a great filter and like the WIX has internals manufactured by Dana, however it uses a synthetic media, which surpasses the other media's out there. This filter works great on the XJ, however there has been problems with the anti drain back valve when used in the horizontial position, so i have chosen not to use it on the JK.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

Stick with the 5W-20 (5w-30 wouldn't be an issue though). If you insist on the 3K oil change I would stay dino, if you're interested in longer intervals then consider the synthetic. As for the oil filters, there are a tons of threads on that from which you can make a decision from, as it is highly subjective. I've continued to use the Mopar.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Question