Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil change question!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
My problem is finding the perfect draining receptacle. I use and oil pan but always spill it pouring it back into gallon jugs. Tried one of those jugs with the built in oil pan on the side....better, but the pan side walls need to be a little higher.
I've got a plastic drain pan that is triangular shaped. It makes for pouring the used oil into a container a snap. Can't remember where I got it, I've had it for a lot of years. Had to be a car parts store though, because it was made to be used as an oil drain pan.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ColinW
...6 quarts of oil on a regular oil change just aren't needed.

ColinW
I'm sorry but that's just plain poor advice.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The oil pan that I use I got from checker. It is a open rather then those bottle ones with the hole in the side. It is a large pan that can collects the oil with a spot for the filter. It also has a nice spout that can be used to dump the oil into juggs very easily and spill free.

If the oil registers high should I drain it or just leave it alone? It is just a smidge over will it cause alot of damage?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by riverzendz
I'm sorry but that's just plain poor advice.

Agreed, unless you change your oil in the dead of winter and don't let the engine warmed up at all and just pull the plug you should get close to all 6 quarts everytime between the filter and pan. I personally put 5 in start my Jeep for a few minutes, shut down, and check the level a few minutes later. Then add as needed. Never failed everytime it takes the full quart. Changeing you oil out is the cheapest and smartest way to keep your ride happy. I will never cut corners on the oil.
Scotty
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rdss
I just put a half quart shy in and have had no problems.
This is what I do also.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fill It Up Up Up

If you do any off roading at all put the whole 6 quarts in, there is a reason Chrysler specifys that much oil. If you are on a severe grade or tilt your jeep off center you run the risk of oil starvation. Mall crawlers need 6 quarts more than anyone because your motor oil also absorbs heat, the less oil in the engine,the hotter the oil. The hotter the oil, the more sludge and varnish buildup in the engine. Red light stop and go traffic is the worst condition you can put your jeep thru. Put ALL the oil specified in it ! The dip stick variance on the oil level means NOTHING, the internal surfaces of the engine will have a pint to a quart of oil clinging to them at any given time after being recently driven. It will drain back by cooldown, when you crank it the next time it will be full. Chrysler WOULD NOT spend a extra $2.50 per unit built unless the need for this extra quart of oil was absolutely NECESSARY !
Old 03-30-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The grave warnings and vague rumors about oil overfilling have a basis in real world fact. Grossly overfilling the crankcase with too much oil can lead to foaming in which the crankshaft whips the oil into a foam- this will not leave a lubricating film on moving parts and the oil pump cannot pump foam. The engine can destoy itself by oil starvation yet be overfilled with oil. This is not likely unless you add several quarts of oil extra. What is more likely with 1 to 1 1/2 quarts over is catalytic converter damage. Any oil forced up past your oil scraper rings by internal crankcase pressure goes into the cylinders. If this is not burned completely it coats the converter media and renders it ineffective. Both scenarios are very unlikely by putting the designated 6 quarts in regardless of the level being EXACTLY on the mark!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
...The dip stick variance on the oil level means NOTHING,...
Sure it means something, that's why they put one on there, isn't it? Surely they would not have put the level indicator on there if it wasn't needed.

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
...the internal surfaces of the engine will have a pint to a quart of oil clinging to them at any given time after being recently driven. It will drain back by cooldown, when you crank it the next time it will be full...
To have 6 quarts in there while running is like adjusting your tire pressure to the correct level while running at highway speeds and temps. Obviously you would want to take the measurement when the tires were cold; you don't adjust while at operating conditions, less you risk crowning of your tires.

Every time I change my oil I put in 5 quarts of oil into my engine, let the engine run for about 5 minutes, shut it off, wait for a couple of minutes to let the oil settle, and then check the dipstick a couple of times to make sure I'm getting precise readings. The level indicator on it has always been around the middle of the safe area. As it is implied from the writing on the dipstick, the top of the safe area is the 6 quart mark, as it takes 1 quart to go from the bottom to the top of that area.

And with that, Chrysler will obviously put in some wiggle room so people don't have to take a graduated cylinder to the oil filler hole every time they change their oil. That wiggle room comes in the form of the dipstick indicator. You shouldn't run into any kind of oil starvation or any of that if you just stay in the safe area.

I haven't had any problems in about 20,000 miles of oil changes doing it this way.

The whole point of matter (and my argument) is, stay in the safe area and you'll be fine.

ColinW
Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK - I agree with the post on the "grossly overfilling" causing damage - but again we're talking overfull by SEVERAL quarts - it's go to get into the crankshaft throw when running - heck I'd hazzard to guess on these engines with the pan the way it is would take 3 maybe 4 extra quarts to really start to foam up the oil...

That said - follow the capacity recomendations and adjust your dipstick 'reading' accordingly.

Here's what I do to verify the dipstick:
Get the engine good and warm - hot even - drain the oil AND remove the filter - let it drain for a good 15 minutes or more - heck I've done other stuff while letting it drain for an hour or more... Then replace filter, plug and re-fill with the specified 6 quarts of oil. Run the engine for a day and then after commuting back from work park it level and then I have dinner, afterwards go out and check oil and everything has settled - that's the "new" full mark. I've heard of people re-scribing the marks or I just make mental note if it's really off by more than an 1/8".

The best way to check is to change oil and check it the same way you would each time - if it's after 1 minute of shutting down then do that way after a proper oil change and make "mental notes" - if it's after sitting all night - do it that way all the time.

This thin (5W20) oil that is recommended drains back pretty darn quickly and with most modern engines the drainbacks are optimized to keep oil where they want it... I'd bet within 1-2 minutes 98% of the oil that is going to go back has returned back to the pan.

Quick Reply: Oil change question!