Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil change mistake

Old 07-06-2016, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change mistake

Completely forgot what I was doing yesterday when I was changing my oil and poured oil where the oil filter goes on the 3.6l.

After a quart and a half I had a good bit of oil (quarter of a quart or so) start spilling from somewhere and then I realized my mistake.

The oil is at the right level and everything is sealed but I had two questions.

Where did the oil spill from? Is there some reservoir I over filled when I poured it in the wrong spot?

And I noticed a few new oil spots on my driveway this morning (parked in a different spot than where I spilled my oil...). I'm thinking its just some residual oil from on the tranny dripping down. Any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It likely overflowed from the filter housing into the engine valley to the back then down the transmission converter/clutch housing, or towards the front of the engine. Never went inside.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default kinda funny

but not ! seeing theres a big cone with a spring sticking out the top

Last edited by jeepmojo; 07-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil change mistake