Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

oil change light at 2540 miles

Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its really not that big of a deal to turn it off. You just turn the key to the on position and press the accelerator to the floor a few times and it resets.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does the dealer reset it when they do an oil change?

I got 2 years of oil changes when I bought my JK. The dealer also through in a complimentary one for a total of 9 free oil changes.

Since my JK was sitting on the lot for 6 months before I bought it I used my free oil change at 800 miles just to get rid of the old oil and sufficiently break in the engine.

I only have 2500 miles on it now and will be getting it changed next weekend since I need to go in after I install the E-Disco I just bought and have the dealer activate it in the ECM ... My 8 oil change coupons expire in 2 years so I have to use them every 3 months whether I need an oil change or not ....
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Its really not that big of a deal to turn it off. You just turn the key to the on position and press the accelerator to the floor a few times and it resets.
I'm glad I don't have a light come on and tell me when its time for the change. However, no lifetime warrantee here either, so you win some and...

I like being able to choose when its time. Usually do it earlier than necessary, but I would have a hard time just resetting that light and ignoring the JK's desires.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
I'm glad I don't have a light come on and tell me when its time for the change. However, no lifetime warrantee here either, so you win some and...

I like being able to choose when its time. Usually do it earlier than necessary, but I would have a hard time just resetting that light and ignoring the JK's desires.
Its not like you have to change it when it says too. When mine came on last I just reset it because I'm running synthetic. Took all of 5 seconds.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atl JK
Its not like you have to change it when it says too. When mine came on last I just reset it because I'm running synthetic. Took all of 5 seconds.
Nope, not saying you do. It's just a mental thing.

Same as how the JK runs a whole lot better when I crank the music. All the clanks, bangs, bumps and crunches go away and I'm happy.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
I mean I thought that I knew but not any longer.

I've had the Jeep since February. Went 'froading at 2200 miles. First "change oil" indicator at ~2400 miles. First oil change was free so in to the stealership it went. Bought an OEM filter while I was there for the switch to synthetic with oil change #2. Went 'froading again at ~3800 miles. At the end of June, ~4600 miles on odometer, I drove to Tampa from Charlotte ~600 miles. When I got there "ding!" "change oil". Shit, no filter. only about 5200 miles? Duty cycle? Well, yeah, I did go off road. so, out to Autozone for oil and a filter. I change the oil in my friends driveway and reset the "change oil" indicator.

So, here is where it gets wierd. I leave Tampa with about 5400 miles on it and drive home to Charlotte, now at 6000 miles. Following weekend I run to New York and back +1400 miles round trip. Now I'm at 7400 miles and "ding!" WTF! "change oil". After only (7400-5200) 2200 miles of highway driving? How is that possible?

So my question is: Does anybody KNOW how the mysterious oil life sensor calculates the oil life? Answers that start with "I think" need not be posted.

MB
Sorry I'm starting my post with "I don't know" meaning "I think" but it may give a little more light:

I don't know if this answers your question, but I read somewhere on here and my dealer told me the same thing: the Jeep oil indicator doesn't work like it does in most other cars. Meaning, it doesn't calculate mileage, engine run time, etc. It is more of a count down timer. It logs when you changed your oil and reset the "clock" averages the oil change intervals, and then just reminds you again. So if you change your oil at every 3K for the first few oil changes, then come close to 12K it will "remind" you again cause it averaged that you change it at every 3K.

I'll see if I can find the thread on it. The only person I believe is my own notebook log. while I continue to use regular mopar oil I'll change at every 3K (even though it is said it has gotten better and can actully go 6 with normal use) and when I go to Mobile 1 I'll change at every 5K.

Then I know if I did some additional heavy duty (towing, off-roading, etc) I'll just change it.

I hope I'm wrong on the whole computer thing cause you would figure with most of cars on the road today have them why would this be so basic. And if so, why even bother...its an annoying ding.

Last edited by sclan; 07-16-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8000ft
How does it know when it's time for a change? and isn't 2500 miles a bit soon?
Also the ESP lights came on briefly today for no apparent reason, and then went off after a mile or two.
Does anyone have any explinations for me?
Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Does it based on driving conditions. Stop and go, many cold starts, etc its a calculated estimate. My first oil change was right at 2500. Lots of in town driving and many off road trips.
That is exactly when mine came on (2500) my dealer told me it was just letting me know I was coming up on 3k. Heck, they even told me to save my money and wait till 5K. I still went ahead and did it at 3K. Wouldn't hurt anything...vehicle wise anyway. And when I went, there wasn't anyone in line so it wasn't like they were busy and just wanted to brush me off.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Nope, not saying you do. It's just a mental thing.

Same as how the JK runs a whole lot better when I crank the music. All the clanks, bangs, bumps and crunches go away and I'm happy.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

My oil change light went off at 2590 miles as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no oil light

no tpms

no BS!

glad I bought an 07 before Mercedes got a hold of the Jeeps

Quick Reply: oil change light at 2540 miles