Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change intervals?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe just conditioned to think this way but unless running synthetic oil I'm a 3 month or 3,000 miles guy whether it's the TJ or JK. Might be spending money for nothing but it gives me peace of mind compared to a new motor.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Arrow

You know, I'm not really going to knock a lot of folks here about changing their oil at 3000 miles--the worst that can happen is you spent more money on oil and used a little bit of your time.

However, if you really want to know how "used up" your oil is, you can always send it out for an oil analysis. Yeah, it will cost you a little bit of money to get your sample analyzed, but then you REALLY know what's going on with your oil usage.

I have used Blackstone Labs: http://www.blackstone-labs.com

for my other vehicles that I take to the track on a regular basis. Bottom line for me: even the manufacturer's oil change intervals were fine because the rest of the time, I commute to work 80% on the highway.

Your results may vary.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Furious Filipino
You know, I'm not really going to knock a lot of folks here about changing their oil at 3000 miles--the worst that can happen is you spent more money on oil and used a little bit of your time.

However, if you really want to know how "used up" your oil is, you can always send it out for an oil analysis. Yeah, it will cost you a little bit of money to get your sample analyzed, but then you REALLY know what's going on with your oil usage.

I have used Blackstone Labs: http://www.blackstone-labs.com

for my other vehicles that I take to the track on a regular basis. Bottom line for me: even the manufacturer's oil change intervals were fine because the rest of the time, I commute to work 80% on the highway.

Your results may vary.
Furious, where ya from? I'm Filipino but not furious.. Haha from NC!!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DirtyDi
Furious, where ya from? I'm Filipino but not furious.. Haha from NC!!
I'm in the East Bay, San Francisco. I guess I'm Furious because "Angry Asian" was already taken.

I'm not really angry, livid, or furious, just "intense" when it comes to driving/riding my cars and bikes (both the motor and pedal kind).

I've been to NC a long time ago. Rock Hill and Charlotte to be exact. Great mountain biking in Tsali and Pisgah. I did quite a bit of collegiate road bike racing there against NC State in my younger years. I never did get to drive the "Dragon," but when I'm out there for an extended trip, you bet I'm going to give the rental Mustang a workout. If you're from around there, do you know if Club 2000 is still in business?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

Is this for real this discussion? Changing oil for every 3000miles? I'm an engineer for Ford, an all engines or vehicles are layed out to last for longer then service manual recommondations for servicable parts. Service is a preventive measure but in reality you can run your oils longer then recommended in the manual. all vehicle attributes are tested in durability and high milage runs exceeding far more milage then 5000 before they consider any fluid changes. If you stick to the manual that should really do the job. The 4000m oil change is the most important one. This when particles from the cylinder honing + when the piston/rings settles in the cylinder are flushed out to prevent surface damage. pistons sit quite tight in a new motor and required to be run in. Ever noticed how gutless the Jk is brand new. This changes after the motor opens up and the pistons have reduced friction to the cylinder.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Furious Filipino

I'm in the East Bay, San Francisco. I guess I'm Furious because "Angry Asian" was already taken.

I'm not really angry, livid, or furious, just "intense" when it comes to driving/riding my cars and bikes (both the motor and pedal kind).

I've been to NC a long time ago. Rock Hill and Charlotte to be exact. Great mountain biking in Tsali and Pisgah. I did quite a bit of collegiate road bike racing there against NC State in my younger years. I never did get to drive the "Dragon," but when I'm out there for an extended trip, you bet I'm going to give the rental Mustang a workout. If you're from around there, do you know if Club 2000 is still in business?
No, 2000 closed down awhile back. I think there's a new club there now.2000 was ok when I went a few times, especially the girls dancing on stage, naked! :-)

Quick Reply: Oil Change intervals?