Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change intervals?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07, 50,000 miles. I drive daily 18 miles (Chicago driving is in time 35 minutes to work 55 minutes home.) I am not an aggressive driver and my Jeep gets over 20 minutes of warmup every day. So the earliest I will change is 4,500. I don't have the oil monitor and most of my trip is 40 to 50 mph. On my old Malibu I did have the monitor and did the change with 20% left, I did and do the same with our Buick Rendezvous and Volvo. All have/had over 100,000 miles and no engine issues. My dad has 180,000 miles on a surburban and he does 5,000 plus changes. No engine problems. As others have said it's your piece of mind. I do not drive my vehicles hard but if I was doing alot more off roading, I would change more frequently.

As a side note, I am one with the burning oil issues and putting about a quart every 1000 miles (The faster I go, ie: highway, the more it burns) the longer I will go as I'm putting 1/6th new oil in and on the stick and when I drain it, it looks new. I know some may say that this may be the reason I'm burning more but I do 3,000 miles while under warranty so if I do have a claim, they can't blame the oil change interval. So it started while I was doing it more frequent.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EzK
3k is extreme. I'd be changing mine every 2 months. I stick with 5-7 depending on how much off roaring is thrown in.

Longest I went on a car was my old YJ 4 cylinder at 8,000 and that was maybe the best engine I've ever owned.

My friends turbo mini Didnt have it's change oil light cone on for 12k.. Now that would make me nervous. Especially since he lives in the city.
My Rainier will go easily go over 12k. I personally can handle that so I change the filter and top it off around 6k. I think the oil change interval has alot to do with the precision of the engine. You will see a lot of higher end cars with 10-15K changes. the 3.8L is definitely a throwback.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bcasey
Not sure what's up with your engine but when I did my change at 6000 as per my manual an oil change indicator light there were no signs of lost oil or as you put it "burns off". Do you get smoke out of you exhaust pipe? I have worked with all types of engines for many years if you are burning oil there is a problem. I plan to go with changes at 3000 miles from now on.

For those using synthetic oils and changing every 3000 miles you are wasting your money. The point of synthetic oils are longer intervals between changes or to protect engines with high miles. You won't get any added proction with synthetic oil in a low miles engine compared to regular oil if you change every 3000 miles. All you do is pay more.
The oil change light is a guess.

I don't understand the logic behind leaving the oil in the motor until a warning light comes on indicating that it's "offically" dirty or the lubricating properties have significantly reduced. However, I'm basically anal about my vehicle, not everyone is.

Actually I do get something other than paying more by using synthetic at a 3,000 mile interval; Valvoline will "warranty" the motor against break down for 300,000 miles if I use their full synthetic and change every 3,000.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

I go with the computer ....usually lights up between 2,800-3,200. I use it as a daily driver in mixed hwy and congested traffic. I also wheel about every other month. I have also changed diff fluids and will t case next...all from write ups on this forum!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bcasey
I just had my oil changed for the first time in my 2010 JK. I did it at one of the chain Lube places because it was in the 20s outside and I did not feel like do it myself. The guy at the shops said I should change it every 3000 miles because of my driving conditions. I use my rig as a daily comuter which he said causes the oil to degrade faster. The manual says to change every 6000 mile which I did. Is this guy right or just trying to get more money out of me?
Bcasey, When I use regular oil I would stick to the 3000mile change interval however I switched to synthetic (Mobile 1) and now change every 5K. So far with 25K and 1.5 years of fun it still works great and doesn't burn oil
Old 01-16-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have had my jeep for 83000 kms and the the oil change light has come on at 4000 km intervals for the life of the jeep, it did not matter if i was off roading or if i was driving 8000 kms to florida and back in a 2 week period. so don't think that that the oil change warning light has a hole lot to do with driving conditions, and i do change oil every 5000kms faithfully for the last 35 years that i have owned many cars and never had engine problems.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Just cracked 4000 km, and the change oil light came on. That seems very early to me.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I change at 3000 miles and that way it reminds me to go ahead and rotate my 35's MT's so they wear more even!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by birdiecat
I have had my jeep for 83000 kms and the the oil change light has come on at 4000 km intervals for the life of the jeep, it did not matter if i was off roading or if i was driving 8000 kms to florida and back in a 2 week period. so don't think that that the oil change warning light has a hole lot to do with driving conditions, and i do change oil every 5000kms faithfully for the last 35 years that i have owned many cars and never had engine problems.
Hello all, first post! Long time auto-enthusiast, first time Jeep owner. I hope to learn a lot and also contribute on a few things that may cross-over from my years of go-fast and motorcycle experience.

Back on on topic:

I have actually looked into this, and as far as even the 2010s are concerned, the computer is just a countdown odometer. You can set the intervals to whatever you want. You can even reset it whenever you want. That said, I wouldn't rely on it if you are doing a lot of heavy towing/off-road use.

Our JKs, unfortunately, do not have the same system that is say in a BMW--which we have confirmed to actually change calculations based on usage (something to the tune of average economy and total number of gallons used--which IMO is a better correlation to how hard you drive your vehicle as opposed to just mileage alone).
Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Hey that's great info, I'm used to the GM Oil Life Monitor, which uses something like load, total rpms, temps etc.

Quick Reply: Oil Change intervals?