Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change intervals?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change intervals?

I just had my oil changed for the first time in my 2010 JK. I did it at one of the chain Lube places because it was in the 20s outside and I did not feel like do it myself. The guy at the shops said I should change it every 3000 miles because of my driving conditions. I use my rig as a daily comuter which he said causes the oil to degrade faster. The manual says to change every 6000 mile which I did. Is this guy right or just trying to get more money out of me?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 2011 says 8,000 miles or 6 months. Plus there is a computer reminder on when to change your oil.. (which is based on your driving conditions).

As long as you change your oil as frequently (or more often) then the manual indicates, and have receipts to prove it, your warranty will stay intact.

Personally, I plan to follow the computer and let it tell me when an oil change is due (or 6 months)...

It's not a terribly hidden fact that service departments and oil change places like 3k oil change intervals because it helps keep them in business, but it does waste oil and money.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Use a good oil AND filter that are rated for more than the 3,000 miles. I've been using Mobil1 because it states 5,000 miles on the container. It gives me piece of mind. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

I do 3000 for conventional, 6000 for synthetic and use Mopar or Fram Extended Guard filters since they have a good drainback valve.

Note I will only use Fram Extended Guard filters. They are built entirely different from the lower grade Fram filters. I was actually very impressed when I saw one cut open.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM
kik
JK Freak

For every member on this forum there is an opinion on when to change your oil and what type of oil and filters to use. I still change mine every 3,000. It's inexpensive insurance for your engine. Maybe it's a bit overkill I'll admit. I'd rather make the decision rather than listening to a computer logarithm. As long as you follow Chrysler's recommendation based upon use you should be fine. Although, all things being equal as far as general care goes, would you rather purchase my 10 Rubi as a used JK with documented 3,000 mile oil changes or another that had 6-8,000 mile oil changes? Be honest.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dronac
I do 3000 for conventional, 6000 for synthetic and use Mopar or Fram Extended Guard filters since they have a good drainback valve.

Note I will only use Fram Extended Guard filters. They are built entirely different from the lower grade Fram filters. I was actually very impressed when I saw one cut open.
I'm glad you saw the inside of one. It was junk ten years ago when I saw the inside of one. I'm sure it's probably changed a couple times since then, atleast it's gotten better. Purlator Pureone was the best filter we stocked back then, it has changed since. I picked one up after the change and I saw paint overspray on the gasket, which could cause leaks. And it looked like they changed the gasket from silicone to rubber.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kik
I still change mine every 3,000. It's inexpensive insurance for your engine.
Same here. Always have, and alway will. I'm a stubborn ass, but an oil change is cheaper than an engine swap.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fray
The new 2011 says 8,000 miles or 6 months. Plus there is a computer reminder on when to change your oil.. (which is based on your driving conditions).

As long as you change your oil as frequently (or more often) then the manual indicates, and have receipts to prove it, your warranty will stay intact.

Personally, I plan to follow the computer and let it tell me when an oil change is due (or 6 months)...

It's not a terribly hidden fact that service departments and oil change places like 3k oil change intervals because it helps keep them in business, but it does waste oil and money.
That's what I thought for mine too. Now my oil change light and that annoying chime comes on and I only have 3,500.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I see no reason to go past 3,000 miles between oil changes. Motor repair is expensive and I wish to prevent / delay it.

On the Valvoline website they have a link about 3,000 mile oil changes; basically, most people's driving falls under the severe category, not normal.

Yea, they (Valvoline) make oil and sell more if people change if with greater frequency, but I pay the dentist for two cleanings a year as a prevenative measure and the oil changes fall into that category.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

I for one never go past 3500 miles either and I use the 5000 synthetic Mobile1. The JK burns off oil like a pig and by the time I change it there's usually only 5 quarts coming out which annoys me because Chrysler thinks it's "ok" for this to happen but I refuse to take any chances with going anywheres near 6K on one oil change. There won't be anything left to lube the engine at that point.

Quick Reply: Oil Change intervals?