Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil change at every 3k or 5k?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it every 3k. Old school? Always have bin told that so thats what I do. My 2009 JKU oil alarm go's off at 2,500 miles.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlyMeDMG
I do it every 3k. Old school? Always have bin told that so thats what I do. My 2009 JKU oil alarm go's off at 2,500 miles.
Since you're getting the warning at 2500, you seem to be one of the folks who's driving style (duty cycle) actually does warrant a 3k change interval.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Most of the oil is in the pan, if you let the engine cool off a little , but still warm enough to drain the oil properly.

I have changed the oil filter without changing the oil, some oil will spill out of the filter and the filter port, but very little. I found this out when I was expiermenting with different oil filters due to dry start issues regarding bad anti drain valves. Now I use the Napa Gold Filter # 1348, excellant filter.

Just wanted to chime in and say it is def possible to change the filter without draining the oil.

SLIM
An older guy at work swore he never changed his oil - only the filters, in an old Mercury. He said he had 99k on it, when it was totaled, back in the 70's. At that time, most manufacturers were still dealing with top end oil related wear and failures. I'd say he was onto something, if he got to 99k without startup noises, clattering and clicking. Without oil analysis and testing, I wouldn't have the courage to try it though.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Vic
JK Enthusiast

I change every 4,000 miles , at 3,000 its looks preety good still. My lights nortmaly comes out around 5,500.

Quick Reply: Oil change at every 3k or 5k?