Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil change at every 3k or 5k?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
How are you guys getting 5K without the OIL Warning ?? There is no way mine would go that far. Or are you just resetting the warning?
The dealer can change the interval when the light comes on.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jhol111964
Keep in mind, oil related engine failures disappeared many years ago, and 95% of a vehicle's parts and wear, have nothing to do with crankcase oil anyway. I'm curious if I'm changing way too often at 5k. It may be time to get an oil analysis done.

I don't disagree at all. It's common knowledge these days that synthetic oils can go MUCH longer than 5,000 miles. Heck, I even saw the evening news do a piece on this a couple weeks ago. "Are you spending too much money on vehicle service?" was the title of the piece I think.

But what I'm saying is... if my engine goes at 35,000 miles like a lot of guys have had happen, and the dealership says "let's see some documentation" and I show them that I've been going extended lengths of time on synthetic oil and I've been using 5W30 instead of the 5W20 ONLY that my manual calls for.. then technically they could say "sorry bud, you're on your own". They probably won't, but they COULD. And I do not want that to even be a possibility.

While this Jeep is new, and for that reason alone, I will probably stick to short oil change intervals and 5W20 oil.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by benny

Do they have this in writing? OFFICIAL writing? That sounds like a load of B.S. to me. My wife just purchased a 2011 dodge Avenger and the dealership offered the lifetime powertrain warranty at no extra charge. I have poured through the paperwork that we received in the mail and it says nothing about every 3,000 miles and rotation at 6,000 miles. It only says to keep receipts from maintenance to avoid any confusion and to follow the recommended maintenance intervals in the owners manual.
That's how it is with my dads Lexus. He was supposed to go in for a oil, diff, tranny fluid change for $600 I told him I would do it. He called them about it and they said to just keep records and receipts. Saved him $400.
Under $30 for an oil change is really good though man. That's less than you'd pay to do it yourself.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Across the board with every car ive ever owned. I change late spring and late fall. I never look at miles. I do check the dip stick once and awhile to make sure things are good. if i went off road hard i would change afterwards, but im more of a mall crawler that goes camping every now and again.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Yep, it is a good deal. I can't buy 6 qts. of 5W20 and a decent filter for less than $30 bucks. So for them to do it for that is a good deal.

Having said that... who knows what kind of junk bulk oil they are using. But if they're going to warranty it... who cares?

Hmm.. still deciding...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Mine is new, but I did my first oil change at 2500mi and then I have done my next 2 between 3k and 4k. I also use mobile 1 synthetic. I work in an the wind turbine industry and we use full synthentics in our gearboxes and it makes a phenomenal difference on lifespan, so I figure that the same principal applies on vehicles just at a smaller scale.

Synthentic recommended
Old 07-22-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Straight up, I did not read one single previous reply.
I change my oil every 3,000 and use full synthetic.
If you want to potentially compromise the life of your motor then stretch the interval.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Every 5K with syn or semi-syn. (Typically Mobil1, but can't always catch a sale. Motorcraft semi-syn is usually a pretty good price)

If there is wheeling or other working of the engine, I go 3K or 2K.
I change before the wheeling so there is fresh oil in there.

Sometimes the "change oil" indicator beats me to the change and I let it stay on until the change.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Is it true that a new engine needs to run reg oil for a certain amount of mileage before switching to a full synthetic oil? ?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I go 5k oil change, tires rotated, re balanced, and alignment checked. Hibdon tires warrants there alignment for a year. The guy says for normal cars that is not a huge benefit, but for wheelers you can come in weekly if you wanted to. Granted not much to align but the toe does get out of wack and I would rather them do that. I home offices from the lobby yesterday, that was interesting....

Quick Reply: Oil change at every 3k or 5k?