Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Change

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

OK so here is the deal Jeep just has about to be 3k and is due for an oil change. I wish i was able to do it myself but unfortunately I live in a co-op on don't have all my resources around me to do one my self. The questions is should i go to my jeep dealer to get it changed or go to Vavoline and get it changed there?. Also is there a Price difference should be around 40k bucks I am Assuming? Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default My dealer stuck it to me...

My oil change, with synthetic oil, was $70 at my stealership. I won't be taking it back to them again.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

If there is no price difference go to the dealer, that way you build a relationship with the service department just incase you ever need warrenty work done. But odds are the are going to be a bit more than a regular shop. If you do go to another shop mark the oil filter to verify that they actually change it. It isnt need each time but just the first few, then you will know if you can trust them.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

X2 on marking the old filter to be sure they change it.

I would recommend paying extra for synthetic. And you can probably go 5-6,000 miles or up to six months between changes unless you are seeing some harsh conditions.

FWIW, very short, infrequent driving (where the engine doesn't get up to operating temps for very long) is pretty harsh. If you do drive like that, I would go by months, not miles, and change every 4 months.

Another worry with quick-change places is that sometimes they don't take the time to let all the old oil drain. Then they fill by the numbers and you end up overfull.

Check their work and keep an eye on the new filter for leaks. Sometimes the old gasket gets left behind. And make sure they put the fill cap back on.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

40k for an oil change.....:rotfl mao1:
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just so you know. Be very careful taking it to one of these 15min oil joints. While I was moving I was forced to bring my CJ7 to one because I couldn't do it myself. The idiots put power steering fluid in my master brake cylinder. Like a week later I lost my brakes going down a hill. They of course denied it and I had to have my whole system flushed and new wheel cylinders intalled. Go to the dealer or a shop that you trust. I used royal purple for my first oi change. Then put mobile one in on the last one. I really think I felt a positive difference with the royal purple.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most dealerships around here charge $30 for an oil change. Not a huge markup considering convenience.

Where are you in Westchester? I have a coupon for Central Avenue Chrysler Jeep Dodge for a $9.99 oil change that expires 10/25 if interested.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKRUBI
40k for an oil change.....:rotfl mao1:
I meant $40
Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most dealers I have been to before getting the JK charged $25-30 + the $2 they charge for the disposal. Why that is an additional charge, I don't know. But they do it everywhere.

At Jiffy Lube you may pay as much as $45 for dino + you have to defend against their instance that every easily replaceable component of your vehicle needs immediate replacement.

And, go with the dealer and you know the filter is Mopar = less likely to have a drain back issue.

Quick Reply: Oil Change