Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil Brand/Oil Filter Brand

Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pastorwug
Our local Dodge/Jeep dealer hires just High School kids to do the oil changes and tire rotations, they have to be the dumbest kids around, but at least they have jobs.
@ experiences in the local dealer:
1. Oil change, tire rotation - they did the oil change alright but cross-threaded one of the wheel spacers and spun it stuck, my fault apparently because they aren't stock - no resolution, wasn't going to go back.
2. Recall time - went in for the ECU flash and they wanted to swap the license plate holders to theirs instead of another dealer's name on there. OK, go ahead. Return to hear that the "mechanic" had slipped with his screw driver and gouged a deep scratch in my personalized license plates and they were sorry. Really? Sorry, that's it? They wouldn't fix the scratch in their body shop, they offered me a free tire rotation - go figure!

So, never going back there, I'll drive the 40 minutes to the dealer I bought the Jeep at - Cole's in San Luis Obispo - at least they seem to have certified mechanics.
Hey, I was one of those high school kids back in the day. Not at a dealer, but I worked at quick lube for 2 years in high school. While I was there, we only had to replace 2 engines. (neither was my fault though)

We had several other close calls though. Surprising how many times someone forgot to put oil back in after it was drained. It seemed like the problem was that everyone was more focused on 'upselling' the customer on air filters, wiper blades, tranny flushes, diff services, etc. rather than on the actual oil change the customer was there for.

At least I learned how to do a lot of basic services myself, so now I never take my vehicles to those guys. I did take my '12 to the dealer for it's first oil change, but only b/c I had a free coupon - and I double checked the drain plug and oil level...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HogHoden
Hey, I was one of those high school kids back in the day. Not at a dealer, but I worked at quick lube for 2 years in high school. While I was there, we only had to replace 2 engines. (neither was my fault though)

We had several other close calls though. Surprising how many times someone forgot to put oil back in after it was drained. It seemed like the problem was that everyone was more focused on 'upselling' the customer on air filters, wiper blades, tranny flushes, diff services, etc. rather than on the actual oil change the customer was there for.

At least I learned how to do a lot of basic services myself, so now I never take my vehicles to those guys. I did take my '12 to the dealer for it's first oil change, but only b/c I had a free coupon - and I double checked the drain plug and oil level...
Glad you had a job, I appreciate hard working High Schoolers that are learning to move out of Mom's basement. There's a big bad world out there.
Back to point made here already several times - nothing like doing it yourself - then at least you have nobody to blame but you.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hetkind
I am in the same basic climate and Mobil 1 5W-30 is my choice of oils....
Did you use Full Synthetic?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on the Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mopar filter (picked up half a dozen when I was at the dealer last). I use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the penzoil 10w30 an purator oil filter had no problems what so ever in my pentastar
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use the penzoil 10w30 an purator filter in my pentastar
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use penzoil 10w30 an purator oil filter in my pentastar no problems an runs smoother

Quick Reply: Oil Brand/Oil Filter Brand