Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OFF ROAD light on the dash? What's it for?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OFF ROAD light on the dash? What's it for?

I can see when the sun hits my dash, that I have an "OFF ROAD" light just below the 4WD light. I see no mention of it in the OM, nor have I seen it come on either at startup or when I have it in 4LO and fully locked.

Anyone?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This means you should not drive the Jeep on pavement. In 4-lo, the amount of torque that is transmitted through the drive train can cause damage on a high traction surface. My Rubicon has it and it lights up in 4-Lo only. I assumed all Wranglers lit that up in 4-Lo.

EDIT: I AM *COMPLETELY WRONG*. Mine does not come on, they are right, Patriot uses that light. I must have been up too late reading the forums. ...JMM

Last edited by SiliconTi; 02-22-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no, I think you misread my post. I know that in any part time 4WD mode transfer case (not just 4LO) that there are no provisions for drivetrain slippage.

someone else just posted this to me:

nothing to worry about. the IP is shared with the jeep patriot. which uses the "off road" light. the JK'S do not.

this makes sense. now, I wonder if I can get it to light up with a switch so I can tell the wife: 'see, it requires off road use every 3,000 miles, just like oil changes.'
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 thats good haha

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-18-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame on you boys! Trying to deceive your ladies like that. But it sure would be funny! I bet they would believe it too!

Quick Reply: OFF ROAD light on the dash? What's it for?