Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oem tire carrier strong enough ??????

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oem tire carrier strong enough ??????

Does any one knows if the original tire carrier, (the one in the rear door), can Carrie a 35" tire with out any damage.?
My concern is about the weight and/or the trail bumps. I allready have a warn tire carrier, BUt I would like to eliminate it to get the stock carrier with its needed spare tire adapter.
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have run my 35" on the gate for almost 2 years. I have not had too many trail rides and from what I've heard, I have been lucky. I do have a bumper w/ tire carrier on order.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sanham
Does any one knows if the original tire carrier, (the one in the rear door), can Carrie a 35" tire with out any damage.?
My concern is about the weight and/or the trail bumps. I allready have a warn tire carrier, BUt I would like to eliminate it to get the stock carrier with its needed spare tire adapter.
Thanks for your time.
I wouldn't, mine is starting to get a little rattle to it when I close the tailgate. I might take my spare off until my tire carrier gets here.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

been running mine mostly on the road for now and seems ok. i will be gettin a carrier as soon as money allows. just seems really heavy for factory one. just what i think though.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

My stock tire carrier started rattling with my stock tire on the rear..let alone my new 33s with steel wheels. I would strongly recommend investing in an aftermarket tire carrier. For $500 delivered the eauto grilles rear bumper+tire carrier works amazingly for such a minimal monetary expense..and Ive finally been able to eliminate any rattling in my rear.

Cheers
Old 06-26-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The number of people who have had issues, i.e. cracked carrier, warped tailgate, are far more numerous than the guys who have had good luck.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by afpilot82
The number of people who have had issues, i.e. cracked carrier, warped tailgate, are far more numerous than the guys who have had good luck.
I presume you have numbers to support that claim? Please do share.

I'm also curious how many ran theirs without bump stops in place for the spare. Those are important in preventing excess shock and vibration from being transmitted back into the carrier and gate.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 06-26-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

315/70R17s Duratracs on pintler wheel on my stock carrier for about 2k miles. Wheel's backspacing is such that I don't need the daystar bump stops that were purchased in advance. No issues with spot welds or rattling, yet. But I also haven't taken it offroad at all.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are a few threads on this. Seems to be ok as long as u don't beat the crap out of ur jeep on trails. Some ppl have ok luck some don't. I think it depends if u offroad a lot. A rattle door doesn't mean it's falling apart either. The rear door needs adjusting or electrical tape on the latch. The best luck I've had is putting weather stripping on the bracket below the latch.... That guide thingy.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

um...no.....

Quick Reply: Oem tire carrier strong enough ??????