Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM TIPM Study

Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Sorcery Explained

One less "Voodoo Electronic " item to worry about- Takes a lot of the mystery out to see it as sections that are accessible, and are logical. Thanks..
Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Here is a picture showing where 12v, (always hot), is available on a 2008 TIPM. If the same spots are open on yours, and you need some power, give them a try.
Also, I updated the view of the "brain", in the original post. It shows both halves, now.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Here is my best effort to identify the relays on the TIPM circuit board.
The check mark by the name indicates I was able to verify what it controls by tracing the circuit, exclusively between relay and destination, with a continuity tester. On the rest of them there were too many common points among them to isolate each relay.
When each of the systems was energized, I could hear the click of a relay with the aid of a mechanic's stethoscope, (not one of the big relays in the fuse box section of the TIPM).
There was no click sound when the headlights and fog lights were turned on, indicating those are controlled with a solid state device.
The directional/hazard lights made no sound in the TIPM, either

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-29-2012 at 08:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AG3 (09-24-2024)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the update, I really enjoy knowing how everything on the jeep works, and the electronic section was a scary unknown, until now. Threads like this are the heart of the forum. Perfect !
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default i need a TIPM

My TPIM on my 2008 Wrangler with only 24k miles on it has gone bad (the dealer thinks). My low speed engine cooling fan will not work. They say the power is not coming out of the TPIM. The dealer wants $690 to replace it. I'm pretty good with tools but I'm far from an auto mechanic. How hard do you think it would be for a DIY'er to do by myself?

Any suggestions? do I have to get a new unit through the dealer?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 weeks ago picked up a 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara from the dealership, off-lease vehicle with 61,000 km's; warranty expired after 60,000 km. Previous owner was a local owner. I live in Vancouver, BC Canada.

After the first week the wipers sometimes wouldn't respond to the on/off switch but after a few days afterwards the wipers worked fine.

4 weeks later, drove thru a torrential downpour for a good 35 minutes on the highway. Wipers worked correctly until a few days later.

2 days later, went for a drive, it was a light sprinkle of rain and the wipers wouldn't shut off, played with the switch and the hi/lo speeds responded just the
wipers would not shut off,l I pulled the Jeep over and turned off the engine and still wouldn't shut off.
Popped the hood and pulled the fuse out of the TIPM and it stopped.

Tried diagnosing using the ignition key diagnostic method, no codes. Just --------- then -done-.

Pulled the negative battery off for 10 hours, still same problem.

Horn, lights, cruise control, power windows aren't affected at all. And works fine.
I might as well just go visit the stealership and ask them to replace the damn thing.

So far from what I've read on various message boards that there are either:
  1. owners can replace the TIPM without dealer programming if the CCN and PCM are installed and operating properly.
  2. there are two TIPM versions, which version should I be looking at? & how to tell the difference between the two
  3. which serial numbers are relevant?
  4. refurbished versus restocked inventory (the difference in serial numbers)
  5. Chrysler switched manufactures recently to deal with "TIPM ISSUE"?
  6. TIPM backordered until who knows when.

I await your responses...

Vancouver, BC Canada

Stock 2007 Unlimited Sahara
Auto transmission
68,000 kms

Last edited by schwa; 04-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my wipers died I had to have the whole tipm replaced. Hopefully not the case for you but it's food for thought...
Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although this is a fairly old thread, I'll add my experiences.
Bought the wife an 07 JKU X in oct 06. Fot the first year it was great, In 08 it started having some problems. The biggest concern was that it would be driving along and just slow down and show all dashlights. Re-starting would take the problem away, and it would run great for a few weeks then act up again. Had it to the dealership for service about 4 times during that period. They could find nothing wrong, but did a few re-flashes and sent her home. I was driving it one day and it acted up. All the dash lights came on and it slowed down from about 40MPH to a crawl then stalled. There was a guy driving behind me and had to swerve so he did not slam into the rear. Once I got it re-started I took it straight to the dealership and thold them what happened. Also told them they would most likely get a call from the local police , because the guy that was behind me swerved and almost hit a car headon because although my vehicle suddenly slowed down there were no breaklights that came on. I told them I would also file a report with police because I could not trust the JK for my wife to drive anymore. She could be driving the highway and if this would happen at 60 MPH she could get run down be a semi.
They kept the JK for testing and gave me a loaner. After about 2 weeks, I got a call that the JKU was ready for my pick-up. They said they had duplicated the problem and traced it to the connector at the TIPM, seems there was corrosion on both the male and female connectors. They replaced both the TIPM and the harness. That was back in 08. It has not happened since.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RubiRed - TIPM freak out

Great post, thank you so much for the details and the great pictures with break-out! Top notch write-up.

I think I have a similar problem with my 2007 JKL Rubicon. Note - I have modded, lifted, and thoroughly flogged my jeep, run it hard and put it up wet.
This problem started after I installed everything in my signature, but the most recent change would be significant dunking into the primordial oooze of the Everglades, redneck yacht club, and lazy springs off road park here is SWFL.

I would be driving down the street, hit a bump ( or no bump at all) and all lights on the dash, radio, odometer, everything would go dark...and the wipers would turn On. But the engine would keep,running fine. No slowing of engine responsiveness, power steering and brakes seemed ok... Then 10-15 seconds later everything would wake-up again and look back to normal, albeit the radio would be at 12:00 .

Several times I would pull over hop out, look for anything obvious. Nada. This happened to me at least 10 times over 3 months, and every time it would come back to normal as I kept driving ok.

Today, I was out paddle boarding and as I approached the jeep I noticed the wipers going, lights On. The keys were 100 feet away... How can that be happening?
I proceeded to attempt to start the engine. Nothing. No signs of life from the dash, no radio or AC. Just the stupid wipers slapping away slowly, and the headlights steady-On.

I pulled the black wire off the battery and waited 5 minutes....nothing. Relays clicked a lot, horn made a brief sound. No engine starty....poopy caka.

Called a buddy, grabbed daughters TJ, towed-off beach, back to dealer. Service Manager Duane a Gal E Anna is the man! He stayed after hours trying to isolate the fuse/relay and pulled all of them. Guess what? wipers and headlights Still On!

So we pulled the wires off the battery, and punted for Monday morning.

I am thinking I have submerged the TIPM too many times and/or too much sand has found its way into the connections. If the TIPM is in fact this susceptible, I will be purchasing a spare in case of EMP and recording the dealer installation procedure if possible. To go along with the extra battery, hoses, plugs, filters, etc. for post-fan scenarios.

Hopefully this will resolve it. I need this daily-driver fixed so I can continue saving for my 2016 JKL CRD Rubicon... If you build it, they will come.

************************************************** *******************************

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Here is my best effort to identify the relays on the TIPM circuit board.
The check mark by the name indicates I was able to verify what it controls by tracing the circuit, exclusively between relay and destination, with a continuity tester. On the rest of them there were too many common points among them to isolate each relay.
When each of the systems was energized, I could hear the click of a relay with the aid of a mechanic's stethoscope, (not one of the big relays in the fuse box section of the TIPM).
There was no click sound when the headlights and fog lights were turned on, indicating those are controlled with a solid state device.
The directional/hazard lights made no sound in the TIPM, either

Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Here is a view showing additional component functions; the labels in yellow.

Quick Reply: OEM TIPM Study