Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM Rubicon Locker Study

Old 04-24-2018, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using Chrome. Works on every image that had the message of third party
Old 04-24-2018, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon Squirrel
I am using Chrome. Works on every image that had the message of third party
Dang weird. I have two PCs in front of me. Using Chrome on both of them. One of them it works, the other one I just get the same 3rd party message.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Revisiting this thread as my locker stuck in LOCKED position while in Moab this last week. Even with the actuator ring slid to the right, the dog clutch did not get pushed to unlocked. I presume this is probably due to a worn wave spring. If that is the case, that does not look like a replaceable part, agree? My understanding is the magnet is the component locking the dog clutch, but the wave spring is the component unlocking it once the magnet is turned off. Kinda sense that I'm screwed....and that replacing the magnet is not going to solve my stuck-locked situation. I did eventually get it unlocked after taking the diff cover off and monkey'ing around with it quite a bit. I don't seem to have any issues locking it, only unlocking. Now that I'm home, my next step is to pull the assembly out, and inspect for anything else that could be causing interference. Step after that would be pulling the bearing on that side, and pulling the magnet assembly off.

Ronjenx - without the bearing and magnet installed, safe to assume i could push the dog clutch in, and when I let go the string should push it back out just a bit to UNLOCKED position? If it does not, it's definitely a worn spring which is not replaceable?

Thanks in advance.........
Old 08-12-2018, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Revisiting this thread as my locker stuck in LOCKED position while in Moab this last week. Even with the actuator ring slid to the right, the dog clutch did not get pushed to unlocked. I presume this is probably due to a worn wave spring. If that is the case, that does not look like a replaceable part, agree? My understanding is the magnet is the component locking the dog clutch, but the wave spring is the component unlocking it once the magnet is turned off. Kinda sense that I'm screwed....and that replacing the magnet is not going to solve my stuck-locked situation. I did eventually get it unlocked after taking the diff cover off and monkey'ing around with it quite a bit. I don't seem to have any issues locking it, only unlocking. Now that I'm home, my next step is to pull the assembly out, and inspect for anything else that could be causing interference. Step after that would be pulling the bearing on that side, and pulling the magnet assembly off.

Ronjenx - without the bearing and magnet installed, safe to assume i could push the dog clutch in, and when I let go the string should push it back out just a bit to UNLOCKED position? If it does not, it's definitely a worn spring which is not replaceable?

Thanks in advance.........
With the bearing and magnet removed, and the locker sitting on the bench so I have to push the plate down to engage the dog teeth, it takes approximately 6 lbs. to push the plate down enough to fully engage and just seat the dog teeth. Removing the weight allows the plate and
dog teeth to return with dispatch to the fully disengaged position.

Your lack of disengagement could be a weak wave spring, or, one or more of the four tapered legs may be binding in the slots they engage. See the yellow arrow in picture #6 in the first post.

Once you get it on the bench, see how it compares to the data in my first two sentences in this post.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Can someone tell me how this spring and “washer” are orientated between the dog clutch plates?
Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett3xx
Can someone tell me how this spring and “washer” are orientated between the dog clutch plates?
Shown is the order in which the pieces go onto the left dog clutch.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-25-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'll post a picture of the wave spring and washer in place, shortly.
great, thanks

Quick Reply: OEM Rubicon Locker Study