Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study

Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez
this last weekend I had removed my wheels to clean off the brake dust. while doing it I checked the from ball joints and had play in the passenger side. when I got under it, i discovered that the movement was coming from the wheel bearing. I went ahead and swap the rear and front tires. When I got the road, my steering wheel was shimming and the jeep had a pretty good vibration. Went home and put the tires back in their origianal positions, vibratioin went away. My 08 had 49000+ miles on it and I had rotated the front to rear because the front left was cupping. The Timken replacement is $142 from autozone. not bad. also on the above post, if you go to details on the timken site, you will see that they do use roller bearings instead of ball bearings like the OEM's.
The Timken site does show a hub with roller bearings in it. Unfortunately, the hub for the Jeep JK is not like the one they show.

I looked at a Timken replacement hub assembly for the Jeep JK. Not only does it have ball bearings in it, it has the exact same part numbers and company logo as the OEM assembly. Timken is selling ILJIN hub assemblies for the Jeep JK.

The Timken part number is HA590242. It appears on the box. On the actual part, is ILJIN's number, and Jeep's part number.

If you can go back to the site where you saw roller bearings in the Jeep JK hub, copy the link and post it here. Maybe they rectified the situation after I corresponded with Timken's Sr. Product Analyst, Automotive Aftermarket.

Otherwise, it has ball bearings, and is made by ILJIN.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-16-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The Timken site does show a hub with roller bearings in it. Unfortunately, the hub for the Jeep JK is not like the one they show.

I looked at a Timken replacement hub assembly for the Jeep JK. Not only does it have ball bearings in it, it has the exact same part numbers and company logo as the OEM assembly. Timken is selling ILJIN hub assemblies for the Jeep JK.

The Timken part number is HA590242. It appears on the box. On the actual part, is ILJIN's number, and Jeep's part number.

If you can go back to the site where you saw roller bearings in the Jeep JK hub, copy the link and post it here. Maybe they rectified the situation after I corresponded with Timken's Sr. Product Analyst, Automotive Aftermarket.

Otherwise, it has ball bearings, and is made by ILJIN.
well i just figured out my problem is the bearing up front. I threw code for erradic wheel speed which after jacking up the passenger tire, it had noticable movement.

my question is can i use a 1 ton 3prong gear puller to get the hub off the shaft or will i require a press?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 07JKX
well i just figured out my problem is the bearing up front. I threw code for erradic wheel speed which after jacking up the passenger tire, it had noticable movement.

my question is can i use a 1 ton 3prong gear puller to get the hub off the shaft or will i require a press?
The hub is not a press fit on the splines. Corrosion is the only thing that would make removal difficult.

Penetrating oil and a puller as you describe should be sufficient.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

The hub is not a press fit on the splines. Corrosion is the only thing that would make removal difficult.

Penetrating oil and a puller as you describe should be sufficient.
thank you sir! So it seems we are kinda stuck with the same easy to wear OEM hub for now. It sucks b/c i would not expect to have to replace these at 50K miles. and I dont even wheel that hard or much.

everyone always asks... "what causes them to go bad" and I think that with so many variances and lack of precision in this design, it really could be anything.

hooray for cutting corners to maximize profits!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

BFH got my hub assembly off. The rear PITA was the hub nut, not sure what it is on the JK but on my old ZJ it was a 36mm. I think I drank two beers while holding the impact gun, non-stop. that thing was STUCK on there. But, after 100K+ miles, I can understand why it was stuck
Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Regarding the center hub nut:

I use a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, with a long pipe on it. Works with almost no effort.

And for applying the torque on installation, (if you don't have a torque wrench), divide the torque spec by your weight, and that's how far out on the handle you need to stand. Just be sure you keep repositioning the socket so the bar is horizontal when your full weight, (not jumping up and down), is on the bar.
Take all the obvious precautions to avoid a slip and fall.

Break the torque, and reapply the torque when the Jeep is at rest on all four wheels.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-04-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Regarding the center hub nut:

I use a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, with a long pipe on it. Works with almost no effort.

And for applying the torque on installation, (if you don't have a torque wrench), divide the torque spec by your weight, and that's how far out on the handle you need to stand. Just be sure you keep repositioning the socket so the bar is horizontal when your full weight, (not jumping up and down), is on the bar.
Take all the obvious precautions to avoid a slip and fall.

Break the torque, and reapply the torque when the Jeep is at rest on all four wheels.
Amazing, never knew that! Sweet.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Any chance you may have this old hub assembly laying around? Or maybe you counted the teeth on the tone ring?

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Any chance you may have this old hub assembly laying around? Or maybe you counted the teeth on the tone ring?

Thank you!
The tone ring in the front hub has 52 spokes in it.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-27-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fascinating stuff.

Well, I tend to like the fact we've got sealed wheel bearings, especially after you've concluded the seal appears to do its job. I encountered a LOT of water earlier in the month when me and two trail pals were wheeling in Colorado; they're both doing wheel bearing repacks on all four corners before we go out again in August.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting dissection and discussion.

Quick Reply: OEM Front Wheel Unit Bearing Study