Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM battery--no separate warranty??

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM battery--no separate warranty??

I had a catastrophic battery failure just as I was leaving town for the weekend--solid internal short in the battery, left me with not even a glimmer on the dash much less any juice to turn over the engine. Pulled the battery out of the circuit, jumped my 07 Rubi, and made it to WalMart to buy a Yellow Top. Took the old battery to the dealer today, only to be told that it's covered only by the 36K/3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty, and that I was out of luck with my 59K miles. I was surprised to learn there is no separate mfr. warranty on the battery--just Jeep/Chrysler. Amazing, when just about every battery you get from Sears, Batteries Plus, Interstate, all carry at least a 5 yr warranty!

I suppose under the new Fiat regime we can expect a 12K warranty on even cheaper batteries. <grumble>
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

How is the oem battery branded?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

there are lots of things that are not covered after 3yrs/36k miles. and actually the battery is only covered 100% for the first 12 months, then its prorated up to the 36 month.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

My OEM battery died after...about a year. similar to what you described.

I replaced it with a yellow top optima. went to the dealership, which is(was, as they are now closed) very mod friendly. they told me the battery warranty is the hardest thing to get and they tried and were denied by DC and the battery company, i think it was everlast.

ive had the yellow top since then and NO problems!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine died at 2 yrs.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I've never seen a battery warrantied after 50,000 miles. You did well with it. Even if you had/have warranty left in the battery it would be through the manufacturer - not Chrysler/Jeep. That's who you would speak to.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. worried about a battery that lasted that long. I guess I am a sucker or you are really picky. The thought of a warranty claim on that would never have crossed my mind.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Couldn't see any indication on the battery showing mfr or model. It's gone now--gave it to WalMart for the $9 core charge.

Love the Yellow Top!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Nope, not worried, just accustomed to DieHards for most of my 50 years of driving--and their 5 year (pro-rated) warranty. Regardless of the mileage (and assuming no mis-treatment of the battery), a good battery should last longer than 2 years.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

I know the warranty would have been thru the manufacturer--which is why I contacted the dealer--no indication on the battery showing who made it. Dealer couldn't tell me either.

Quick Reply: OEM battery--no separate warranty??