Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Odd Tick/Rattle...

Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Tick/Rattle...

Hello,

I have this ticking/rattle sound that has been driving me crazy for a month now. The tick only seems to occur between 2000rpms and 2500rpms. It only happens when the Jeep has reach operating temperature. It happens on acceleration 50% of the time and deceleration 75% of the time. At other times it doesn't tick at all. I had it in to the local dealership twice now and they can't find anything wrong. I've even pointed the tick out to them and still nothing.

The tick seems to be coming from the drivers side around the transmission area. Like the dealer, I myself can't find anything that is loose or rattling. The heat shields are fine, exhaust manifold bolts are fine and nothing seems to be out of place.

Has anyone experienced this tick? Anyone know of any other areas on the Jeep I can check?

2008 Wrangler Xs
6-Speed

Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem with my 2011 2dr 6 spd sport. Its done it since I drove it off the lot. It went to the service bay the next day and they said it was normal. Its been to 3 different dealers. The best thing they could come up with is "You're hearing the exhaust noise under the jeep." It is very freaking annoying too. Almost like cards in a bicycle spoke. Let me see if I can find a link to my previous post....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Noisy-Engine!

Seems like were not the only ones with an issue.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine has done it since day one. my good buddy is a jeep tech and he says that most of them do it. mine is an 07 with 49k on it. keep waiting for it to blow so i can get a hemi!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

At least I'm not the only one that hears the tick. I was starting to think I was crazy

I'm going to completely rip off the cross pipe heat shield and mess around with the EGR tubes up near the passenger side header. I've read on other forums that these two areas are very noisy

Quick Reply: Odd Tick/Rattle...