Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Odd issue (SOLVED)

Old 08-01-2018, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Odd issue (SOLVED)

Has anyone seen this problem, I am suspecting something in the master cylinder. When taking off the clutch feels great (I installed a new clutch and TB a few months ago) but after getting up to a certain speed like 3rd gear the clutch becomes harder to push. I have sucked out the reservoir and refilled twice to make sure its not a break down in the fluid and this has improved it some. No noise, no chatter, nothing but that real stiff feeling on the clutch, but like I said only when past 2nd gear. The clutch and TB are good. 2007 JKU BTW

I checked again and there is absolutely no noise and no grinding feeling in the pedal like a throw out bearing. It's just like it gets stiffer after 2nd gear. I even had the wife drive it to make sure I wasn't being paranoid and she noticed it as well

Last edited by HostileJK; 08-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you start having the symptoms right after the clutch replacement? Did you actually do the work, how many clutches have you done before?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I've always done my own work and clutches are actually easy for me except dropping the damn tranny out (getting too old for this shit ), the last clutch I did was in my TJ and I actually rebuilt the transmission while I was at it. The clutch has been acting fine actually perfect since I've done it just until a few days ago. It's actually still working great besides the fact the clutch pedal is hard to push, but there doesn't seem to be any binding past the slave cylinder so I have to assume it's one of those two, but I've never seen a master cylinder act this way unless the spring broke inside or something

Last edited by HostileJK; 08-01-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Well, you definitely know what your doing then, so the likelihood of an install error are low. This is a tough one.....Slave cylinder maybe sounds like?
The following users liked this post:
HostileJK (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe the best bet would just to replace them both, she does have 155,000 on her. Then again I wont know what actually fixed it and that might drive me crazy.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

One at a time then, and let us know the results please.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Will do, gonna check one more thing before going down that road.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Odd issue hard to push clutch (Solved)

Okay okay I'm a little embarrassed to admit this one but even seasony mechanical dude or ladies can screw up once in awhile.

When I reinstalled the tranny I remember lubricating both pivots and putting anti seize on the shaft so it would slide nice, however the thing I don't remember doing is popping the ball off the end of the slave shaft and lubricating that pivot.

So I went home, jacked her up and pulled the slave cylinder out and lo and behold I popped it off and it was dry as a popcorn fart. I put some nice red high temp grease and popped the ball back on, put it back together and low and behold she drives like a dream again and as smooth as a baby's ass.

So in ending, as much as I hate to admit an embarrassing moment like this if it helps somebody learn or solve their own problem like mine, then hey I'm all for it

I updated my original post by putting solved behind it, but that parts not showing up so hopefully somebody else finds this helpful through search.

Last edited by HostileJK; 08-01-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice fix and thanks for sharing. I have replace 3 throw out bearings and been in there enough to appreciate this fix
Old 09-11-2018, 03:21 AM
JK Newbie

Not a fun job for one small part 😁

Quick Reply: Odd issue (SOLVED)