Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Occasional clunk when accelerating from stop.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Occasional clunk when accelerating from stop.

So occasionally I get a clunk when accelerating. It's not constant it happens then that's it. There's no vibration or any other adverse affects that I notice. U joints look like they're in good shape. I have about 30k miles on the jeep. Anybody have this problem or maybe any idea what it could be?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWhiteBread
So occasionally I get a clunk when accelerating. It's not constant it happens then that's it. There's no vibration or any other adverse affects that I notice. U joints look like they're in good shape. I have about 30k miles on the jeep. Anybody have this problem or maybe any idea what it could be?
Control arms tight?

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
Control arms tight? Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
I checked them not that long ago. I guess maybe another check and retorque.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm actively chasing a similar condition on my vehicle. I removed the front driveshaft and the noise went away. The driveshaft has minor rotational play and I'm almost certain that's the source of my noise.

I've also checked (and replaced) ujoints, control arms, track bar, and track bar bolts. My clunk was also on takeoff or if power was applied after coasting to a rolling stop.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

I really hope it's that simple!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm actively chasing a similar condition on my vehicle. I removed the front driveshaft and the noise went away. The driveshaft has minor rotational play and I'm almost certain that's the source of my noise. I've also checked (and replaced) ujoints, control arms, track bar, and track bar bolts. My clunk was also on takeoff or if power was applied after coasting to a rolling stop.
Exactly my problem! I have stock driveshafts as well. I hate ignoring these little issues because sometimes they become major problems.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

There are 8-8mm bolts on the transfer case side and 4-15mm bolts on the axle side. If nothing else, it'll rule that part out and that's what I was looking to do after checking all of the usual culprits.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

There are 8-8mm bolts on the transfer case side and 4-15mm bolts on the axle side. If nothing else, it'll rule that part out and that's what I was looking to do after checking all of the usual culprits.
I'll check the torque on those
Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I would (and did) remove the shaft. The bolts were tight but there was slop between the top and bottom portions of the shaft. The ujoint and the rzeppa joint are both tight.

Reach your hand under there and see if you can emulate the noise by giving it a sharp rotation.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

I would (and did) remove the shaft. The bolts were tight but there was slop between the top and bottom portions of the shaft. The ujoint and the rzeppa joint are both tight. Reach your hand under there and see if you can emulate the noise by giving it a sharp rotation.
I noticed a little grease seeping from the rzeppa joint.

Quick Reply: Occasional clunk when accelerating from stop.