Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Not all dealers are created equal

Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not all dealers are created equal

I have 2010 Rubicon. It has been a very good vehicle, but over the past year there have been two (2) small issues that really bugged me:
  1. Steering column knock / cluck at very low speeds
  2. Parking brake would intermittedly not hold tension in park brake cable when applying (defective cable clutch)

I took it to the dealer in Simi Valley, CA. and asked that they replace the park brake lever assembly and the steering column intermediate shaft, or at least, fix the two complaints. They kept the vehicle for 1 day and then told me to come and get it. They did no repairs, because according to them, they were not able to duplicate these concerns. Before I drove it off the lot, I was able to get the park brake lever to slip again.

I drive directly to the dealer in Thousand Oaks, Ca. They took in the Jeep and by noon the next day they had replaced the intermediate steering shaft and the park brake lever assembly. The new park brake lever assembly is much more robust and has worked perfectly for the past 1,500 miles. I went wheeling on 5 new trails in Arizona and never a steering column knock.

I do not feel we should have to "shop around" for a dealer. Anyway, the Jeep is now 100% once again, thanks to the Thousand Oaks Chrylser/Jeep/Fiat dealer.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I have a 2009 JKU that has a 4" teraflex lift, fox shocks, quick disconnects, 17x9 mamba wheels wrapped with 35 faulken wildpeak at's. my problem was a slight vibration at various speeds, you could feel it in the steering wheel and actually in the floor. I returned to the dealership where I purchased it and there service department rebalanced and rotated tires replaced front brakes and rotors. Problem still there. Told me there my be a broken belt in a tire. Took off spare and swapped it out with each wheel and to no avail problem still there. Drive over to another dealership that is actually just a couple miles from my home and they took 5 minutes to tell me it was the torque converter. Took it straight in got me a rental car in 5 minutes and in 2 days problem solved. Kasing Jeep in Ellwood City, PA great place to do business.

Quick Reply: Not all dealers are created equal