Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

noisy 6 speed in my 2010

Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy 6 speed in my 2010

Recently purchased a 2010 with a 6 speed. The Trans shifts fine it doesn't have problems going Into gear it just seem a little noisy like you can hear the gears wining as your driving idk if this is common with these as this is my first jeep I do know the trans fluid and clutch were replaced and the trans fluid is at proper level
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 did and I've noticed it just a little on my 15, so I'd yeah yes but would love to see more feedback from others. Doesn't hurt to check it out though.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 PM
JK Junkie

The gears shouldn't be whining if fluid levels are good otherwise you would be able to tell it was synchros related.

Sounds to me like the throw out bearing, very common issue in the jk. They chatter when it's cold and make whining sounds because they are done for. Mine went out at 75k and would make a ton of noise on cold starts. In the winter it was awful sounded like it was going to pop.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
JK Junkie

Also if the tone changes as you work the clutch I would definitely say it's more like the TOB than anything gearbox related.

When in neutral and working the clutch pedal any noise will be either the slave, or the workings of the TOB, plates and such. At least in my experience.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

The TOB only has a few thousand miles on it as it was replaced with the clutch but I was just talking to the previous owner and he said the new one looked pretty cheap but installed it any way I'll keep an eye on it the trans shifts fine tho goes right into gear and the fluid level is good but I might change that for some piece of mine the old owner changed it but couldn't remember what kind he used
Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

I' wondering about the TOB issue myself. I have 39000 miles on my 6pd. There's no slipping and I changed the fluid at 35000. There was no unusual wear as indicated by the drain plug. But, there is a fairly consistent noise when shifting between 1st and 2nd. It sounds like I am hearing a friction while spinning when I clutch in... only in those two gears. I think about it for awhile, then I forget all about it until the next time I have the radio off . There is no unusual feel.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have my attention too^^^ I get noise like that as well and sometimes a PITA to put into reverse. I'm also pretty sure my synchro' share going because from time to time it pops out of 1st with a fury. Almost shitted my self the first time.

northridge 4x4
Old 12-19-2015, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I just had the jeep back at the dealer for a long list of repairs and they checked the trans couldn't find anything dropped the fluid said it looked good so they just changed that I'll be picking it up this week so I'll see if it's still the same
Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know what they said please.

northridge 4x4

Quick Reply: noisy 6 speed in my 2010