Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

The noises have begun!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The noises have begun!

But seriously, I just picked up my jk '14 brand new a few weeks back and just last week or so I noticed that there is a noise when I first start it up after it has been sitting a while. The noise only happens when the ac is on. If the jeep is on and the ac isnt, it will make the noise as soon as I turn it on. Its a quick 1 or 2 seconds but it doesnt sound pretty, and sometimes its louder than others. After I turn it on it runs fine the rest of the time and will not make any sounds when engaging the ac.

Ill post a video of what I am hearing, in the video the jeep is on and I move the camera then start the ac. I searched everywhere and multiple other forums but no avail. I went to ask the dealership since I have the warranty but he asked to keep the jeep overnight, which I cant do right now since im up north in university. Maybe later (a month or so) when im back in socal ill go to my dealership where I have the extended warranty and have them check it out, but in the meantime I would love to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16xw...ature=youtu.be here is the link to the video!

Last edited by Big-D#28; 09-16-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

My '08 will make sort of a grinding noise very briefly when the engine is started with the A/C on. There have been several threads addressing this, with the consensus "It must be normal".
Everything is fine with my JK, so I'm not concerned with it. I usually turn the A/C off when I'm about a mile from the house to let the evaporator dry out, so I get the noise only when I forget to do that.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My '07 does it. 146K miles and no real AC problems. Now I better not have jinxed myself with that statement. LOL.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of people don't realize that Jeeps don't have all the wonderful insulation that normal cars have.
You're gonna hear a lot of otherwise abnormal noises in a Jeep.
You have a warranty. Drive it until it breaks, or get it checked out just before your warranty expires.
If it works, drive it till it breaks.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably just some design thing with the A/C system. My wifes 2012 Grand Cherokee makes some weird noise like that sometimes a few seconds after startup too. My Wrangler may also but I might not hear it over the exhaust.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHog
A lot of people don't realize that Jeeps don't have all the wonderful insulation that normal cars have.
You're gonna hear a lot of otherwise abnormal noises in a Jeep.
You have a warranty. Drive it until it breaks, or get it checked out just before your warranty expires.
If it works, drive it till it breaks.
Lmao thats a good way to put it. I mean I did pay for the warranty for a reason!

Quick Reply: The noises have begun!