Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Noise from rear wheel and how it was "fixed"

Old 10-24-2018, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear wheel and how it was "fixed"

Hi all,

I got my '13 JKU (all stock for now) a couple weeks ago and immediately noticed a noise coming from the passenger side rear when turning left at any speed. The noise sounded like a scrape scrape scrape that increased frequency with speed but, as implied, only when weight shifted to the right side. The dealer told me to bring it in and they would fix it at no cost.

I took it in yesterday and when I picked it up, they told me they modified the brake backing plate on the passenger side rear because the wheel was hitting it when weight shifted to that side. Modified the brake backing plate....sounds to me like they just made the noise go away and did not fix the underlying problem.

I asked if it's possible that the bearing was going out or loose and they said there is a normal amount of deflection that could have caused the noise.

Then they said that they replaced the rear brakes when they originally bought the Jeep and an error was made with the replacement that caused the noise.

They also had to replace two wheel studs as well because they had a hard time removing them and they stripped.

So my theory is either that the bearing is loose or the two studs that were stripped weren't tight to begin with and allowed for excessive wheel movement.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

1. Rear bearing is part of the axle shaft assembly. Highly doubt that is cause of noise while turning.

2. Studs are pressed in from rear, and 3 studs tightened should not allow any wheel wobble noise, so highly doubt stud problem.

3. Brake pads have a normal amount of loose movement in them. I've experienced similar noises due to pads. Most likely cause of noise from rear wheel while turning.

4. If you suspected something else and don't trust the dealership then why not crawl under your Jeep prior to bringing it in or now after the repair and inspect the studs and bearings?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Rednroll. I bring this up because in other posts I've read, it seemed people have had similar problems where the fix was to modify the backing plate. Some have replaced the rotors and pads and the noise went away while another was told their axle shaft was bent but the noise persisted after it was replaced. I tend to overthink things so that's why I posted the question. Main point being that the noise is solved but the underlying cause may not have been. In the posts I read, there really didn't seem to be a true resolution.
In response to your points:
1. To add, if it were a wheel bearing, I assume I would still notice problems
2. I don't think it is too far fetched for this to have caused issues but I understand what you are saying. If two adjacent lug nuts were loose, there might have been enough play to cause the wheel to contact the backing plate.
3. I should have mentioned the noise occurs if the brakes are applied too.
4. I didn't investigate the noise prior to bringing it in because they were fixing it for free, essentially as part of the purchase, which is another reason I am being overly cautious of their work. Free tends to equal shoddy work or band aid repairs. I do plan to get under it this weekend to see how the backing plate was modified.
Thanks again! Your input is much appreciated. I'm sure the problem really is fixed. I just doubt it was built from the factory with the assumption that sometime in the future, the backing plate will need to be modified to accommodate some amount of deflection.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Keep us posted if you find anything else. I replaced my pads in the past and had a rattle similar to what you described. They were EB Greenstuff pads for what it's worth. I replaced those pads with a set of Duralast pads after dealing with the rattle for the life of those GreenStuff pads and the rattle went away as soon as I replaced the pads. I'm unsure what caused the rattle with the pads. I had suspected that one of my anti-rattle clips might have not fitted in properly since I struggled with those staying seated when I installed the GreenStuff pads. My rattle happened when I turned, and also when first accelerating from a stop and when coming to a stop.

Quick Reply: Noise from rear wheel and how it was "fixed"