Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

noise from braking system

Old 05-10-2014, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise from braking system

Maybe once or twice a week I get a noise that sounds like a rock stuck in the rotor or worn brake pad indicator coming from the front of my jeep. When i push the brake peddle to stop it goes away when i release it comes back. Until i slow almost all the way and then it stops. It may do it again right away or it might wait a week.

I think I'll pull the tires this weekend and look around. I've dealt with and fixed many brake issues before because I live on a dirt road but it strikes me as odd that it's so intermittent. Anyone have any out of the ordinary issues with a sound like this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

I do also have to say that it's a 2011 with 50,000 on it and a dirt road everyday. So I'm probably just do for a brake job. It just seems like every other time I've needed brakes the problem was easily replicated. This time it's just out of the blue, and then it's gone!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Is it sort of a squealing sound? I think I am having the same issue with my 2012. I assumed brakes also, but after pulling the front wheels, the brakes look fine. It was intermittent at first, but now is becoming an ongoing issue. When I hit the brakes, the sound goes away. To me it sounds like a metal on metal grind/squeal. Of course when I brought it in, the noise went away and my mechanic couldn't find any issues.

I remember having this same problem with my '08 JK, but can't remember what the fix was. If you figure it out, please share.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Yep, it's a squealing sound. Sounds like you have the same problem as me. Still haven't pulled the wheels to figure it out. But it's seemed to go away since I posted this. Maybe I scared it! Lol

Quick Reply: noise from braking system