Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Noise after shutting down engine

Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise after shutting down engine

Not sure if this has been discussed yet. Does anyone know what that motor noise is after turning off the engine? It sounds like a power antenna but we all know that is not what it is!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the noise you're referring to is the fuel pump
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

There have been all kinds of guesses. Nobody has identified it yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jebus: Not the fuel pump. If this is the same noise it has been discussed before. It is lower in pitch than the fuel pump. It seems to come from the passenger side valve cover and you hear it a few seconds after shutting off the engine.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

it sounds like a fan motor running and then slowing down
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED_DEATH
it sounds like a fan motor running and then slowing down
That is the sound I hear...a big fan motor slowing down! It is coming from the front somewhere....just never really thought about looking under the hood when it does it....maybe I will next time.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2011 makes some strange sounds. I've assumed they are related to the HVAC dampers, doors and other actuated stuff in the dash area. That's where it sounds like it's coming from. I usually hear it within 5 or 6 seconds after turning off the ignition and removing the key.

I've also noticed a very similar sound if the Jeep's been sitting in the garage and I open the drivers door to get something and then close it back up. A minute or so later I'll hear that sound of actuators or motors (from inside or outside the Jeep). That sound I'm not sure of since I'm not putting a key in, just opening then closing the driver door.

I think the latter of the sounds is the disappointment of my Jeep that I didn't take her for a drive.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomandy
My 2011 makes some strange sounds. I've assumed they are related to the HVAC dampers, doors and other actuated stuff in the dash area. That's where it sounds like it's coming from. I usually hear it within 5 or 6 seconds after turning off the ignition and removing the key.

I've also noticed a very similar sound if the Jeep's been sitting in the garage and I open the drivers door to get something and then close it back up. A minute or so later I'll hear that sound of actuators or motors (from inside or outside the Jeep). That sound I'm not sure of since I'm not putting a key in, just opening then closing the driver door.

I think the latter of the sounds is the disappointment of my Jeep that I didn't take her for a drive.
Your description is exactly like what I hear.

The "big fan motor slowing down" described above is radiator fan if it happens to be running when the engine is shut off.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its the electric fan slowing to a stop.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Whinning noise...

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Not sure if this has been discussed yet. Does anyone know what that motor noise is after turning off the engine? It sounds like a power antenna but we all know that is not what it is!
I think it's coming from the stereo receiver. When I shut down, I hear the whinning/motor noise. I click the power button to the stereo and it goes away.

Quick Reply: Noise after shutting down engine