Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No Straight Answers.....

Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No Straight Answers.....

My Jeep sits down in the front 1.75" from the rear. To me, that's a hell of a lot. I had been thinking about a BB for the Jeep, but I will still end up with a very unlevel vehicle. I have thought about taking it to the dealer and seeing how they would react to my complaint. I wonder how willing they would be to swap out the front springs for something more heavy duty? Nearly everything I have and everyone I have talked to knows nothing concrete about stock spring rates. Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
My Jeep sits down in the front 1.75" from the rear. To me, that's a hell of a lot. I had been thinking about a BB for the Jeep, but I will still end up with a very unlevel vehicle. I have thought about taking it to the dealer and seeing how they would react to my complaint. I wonder how willing they would be to swap out the front springs for something more heavy duty? Nearly everything I have and everyone I have talked to knows nothing concrete about stock spring rates. Any thoughts?
I would like to know as well......especially if I hang a bumper and winch on the nose......
Old 03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't do anything... the JK is manufactured to have that rake. A few people complain about it and have added spacers to level it out...there are others who say the JK needs that rake to drive properly because that was the stock design. Some lifts level the Jeep others don't. I bought the RC BB which is 2.5" in the front and 2" in the rear. I also have a Rampage Bumper and a winch. I installed the 2.5 inch spacer in the front and without installing the rear spacer of my BB the Jeep still sat 1/4 higher in the rear... I ended up leaving the rear spacer out.

We can't get Jeep to fix the real problems ( like a leaking top ), I highly doubt you can get them to change something that is the way it is supposed to be.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe the "rake" is on the unlimited becuase of the towing capacity(3500lbs)
If you were to actually put a 3500lb trailer on your jeep i'm sure it would squat pretty bad so I believe the rear sits higher than the front. Not the other way around (fronts sits lower than rear) which is how most people describe it.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j&k'sjk
I believe the "rake" is on the unlimited becuase of the towing capacity(3500lbs)
If you were to actually put a 3500lb trailer on your jeep i'm sure it would squat pretty bad so I believe the rear sits higher than the front. Not the other way around (fronts sits lower than rear) which is how most people describe it.
Well I get and understand the towing aspect. Thing is, I will never tow the max or even come close. It seems the only thing to do is get the spacers. I hate doing that because the spacers will make the springs settle prematurely and lessen their effective life span.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

The rake's main design feature is that when you load it up with 5 people and some beer, it should sit level. Obviously, this does not take into account futur mods people will do but it makes perfect sence.

Very often I see people that level out their Jeeps, but when time comes to head to a trail far away, it looks like they are driving a boat!

So to each his own, but there is a method and reason behind this evil rake.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer won't do anything about this. Look at the majority of Jeep vehicles, they all sit the same way. What's it called.. the Commander? It's even more noticeable. Look at trucks, they all sit that way. It's just the way vehicles are made. You just have to get some spacers to put in the front to compensate for it. It's a part of life.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by j&k'sjk
Funny you should mention that. I'm towing a trailer tonight and have it attached right now. I'm not happy with the rake, and this after a Rough Country 2.5" BB that moved the front end higher than the rear by 1/2-inch. Right now, I'd love to have that 1/2-inch back. The tongue weight (which is the a more important value than the towing capacity vis-a-vis rake) exceeds my scale at 300 pounds. But, IIRC, the JK is rated at 350 pounds, and I don't think that I'm over that.

Here's what it looks like:

Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

This is silly guys. Every vehicle has a 'rake" to it, and if it was level someone would belly ache that it looked weird as soon as they put an ice chest in the back.

Do what you want with the leveling but Chrysler will not be able to please everyone.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
... I hate doing that because the spacers will make the springs settle prematurely and lessen their effective life span.
Why would spacers cause the springs to settle prematurely? Instead of the spring sitting against the top perch it sits against a spacer that sits against the top perch. It doesn't seem to have any extra pressure on it. It's not squeezed any harder. The length of the spring is the same with and without a spacer once the weight of the vehicle is put on it. I could see if the spring was squeezed in there tighter with a spacer than without one.

I'm not saying your wrong... I'm asking because I don't know why it would shorten the life span.

Quick Reply: No Straight Answers.....